Fredericksburg, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s tennis team claimed 11 games between singles and doubles action from nationally-ranked University of Mary Washington Saturday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The No. 12 Eagles (17-3, 7-0 CAC), however, notched a 9-0 win over St. Mary’s (5-8, 2-4 CAC) to finish conference play with a perfect record.
St. Mary’s 0, Mary Washington 9
How It Happened
- Sophomores Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ethan Garren(Arnold, Md./Broadneck) took three games from UMW’s regionally-ranked top duo, Ryland Byrd and Michael Fleming, before falling 8-3. The UMW duo is ranked fourth in the Atlantic South region.
- Gorel claimed five games in a 6-1, 6-4 loss to Matt Miles, who is regionally-ranked ninth, at No. 1 singles.
- Garren faced Patrick Hughes, who is ranked 15th in the region, at No. 2 singles, dropping a 6-1, 6-2 decision.
- Senior captain Kyle Van Winter (Scaggsville, Md./Good Counsel) was the only other Seahawk to win a game today as Van Winter lost 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 singles to Derek Hagino.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 15 vs. No. 36 Christopher Newport University (10-8, 4-1 CAC) – Fredericksburg, Va. – CAC match – 10:00 a.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Justin Gordon · email@example.com