La Plata, MD- At the meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 16, the Board of Commissioners received a report that analyzed opportunities for bicycle and pedestrian connectivity in the Waldorf urban area. The report included a review of existing conditions, progress on current master plan projects, and challenges to integrating bicycle and pedestrian paths with current roads and transportation networks. Staff provided design and policy recommendations that could be considered in planning for future improvements.
Commissioners also held a work session on the Indian Head Science and Technology Park Conservation Easement to discuss the amendments to the deed. An additional amendment was approved that would add clarifying language to the document and it is posted with redlined amendments inBoardDocsfor the public’s review before the public hearing scheduled on Oct. 23.
Open Session Briefings
- County Administrator Michael D. Mallinoff, Esq., ICMA-CM presented anupdateon the County Government’s progress during September. He reviewed major accomplishments and shared information on current county priorities.
- Deputy County Administrator Deborah E. Hall introduced Aprianto Saptha, a visiting international fellow from Indonesia who is visiting Charles County this month as a participant in the International City/County Management Association’s Fellows Program. As part of this exchange program, Saptha will be evaluating strategies that could be used to address community challenges in his home country. Indonesia will host a reciprocal exchange opportunity, for county staff who are selected to participate next year.
- Transit Division staff briefed Commissioners about the selection process for the proposed site of a newVanGO operations and maintenance facility, which would be located on Piney Church Road on county property currently used as a vegetative recycling center.A public hearing on the proposed site is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 30, at 7:30 pm in the Commissioners’ Meeting Room.
Commissioners received a briefing and voted to approve a lease agreement between the county and Potomac Square Condominiums, which would provide additional space that is needed for Emergency Medical Services’ operations.
The Commissioners also approved the following items:
- The proposedfiscal year 2020 budget calendar, which was amended to move the April23general fund work session to April16.
- A$80,000 budget amendment increase, appropriated from fund balance, to pay for repairs to three pieces of heavy equipment used at the landfill.
- A$212,660 budget transfer request, within the capital projects roads budget, to pay for maintenance of the Blue Crabs Stadium parking lot.
Action on Boards, Committees, and Commissions
Commissioners made the following appointments:
- Frederick Scott and William Winters to the Board of License Commissioners (Liquor Board).
- Joane Roland to the Charles County Pension Plan.
- Angie Kay Keese and reappointment of Tonya Kay Speer to the Commission on Individuals with Disabilities.
- Reappointment of Thomas Brown, Rita Murphy, Brant Romero, and Bonnie Scoggins to Nuisance Abatement Hearing Board.
Public hearings were held to receive comments on the 2018 Bond Resolution, legislation to ban plastic straws and stirrers at Charles county businesses and restaurants, and a septic riser visibility requirement for new home construction in Charles County.The Commissioners approved the Bond Resolution and septic risers legislation. The record remains open to receive comments on the plastic straws and stirrers ban legislation until close of business, Monday, Oct. 22.
Next Commissioners Meeting:Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 4 p.m.
Upcoming Public Hearings
Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 6 p.m.
- Zoning text amendment to change setback and two-story requirement in the core employment residential zone
- Amendments to the Indian Head Science and Technology Park Conservation Easement
- Amendments to Adequate Public Facilities Manual
For More Information:
Commissioners meetings are aired on CCGTV, which broadcasts on Comcast channel 95 and Verizon channel 10, and are available for streaming atwww.CharlesCountyMD.gov/media-services/ccgtv/ccgtv. Materials and minutes of the Commissioners meeting will be posted atwww.boarddocs.com/md/chrlsco/Board.nsf/Publicupon approval.