By Nairem Moran ·firstname.lastname@example.org
Newport News, Va. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team clinched the second seed in the upcoming 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Men’s Soccer Championship Tournament. The Seahawks (11-3-3, 4-2-1 CAC) suffered a 2-1 setback Wednesday night at the hands of Christopher Newport University (7-8, 3-4 CAC).
As the No. 2 seed, St. Mary’s will host seventh-seeded Penn State Harrisburg on Saturday, October 27 at 2:00 p.m. in Seahawk Stadium. The Seahawks posted a 4-1 win over Harrisburg just four days ago on Senior Day as junior midfielderBrad Moore(Crofton, Md./South River) and sophomore forwardRoshawn Panton(Bowie, Md./Roosevelt) each scored twice.
St. Mary’s 1, Christopher Newport 2
How It Happened
- It was a physical and chippy game as fouls were even at 23 apiece and the referee gave out eight cards, including a red card in the 29th minute.
- St. Mary’s went to work right away, jumping on the scoreboard in the third minute. Junior forwardKhalid Balogun(Bowie, Md./Bowie) tallied his conference-leading 13th goal asBalogunput back the rebound off the save on senior captainJuwan Kearson‘s(Baltimore, Md./St. Paul’s) shot.
- The 1-0 Seahawk lead stood for just six minutes asTanner Dailtook a low hard shot into the right side of the net to pull Christopher Newport even.
- The Captains then played a man down starting in the 29th minute asDaniel Hulettwent off the field with a red card.
- The Seahawks could not capitalize on the extra-man opportunity as the 1-1 draw held until the 80th minute whenDailstruck once again with a quick shot off aJordan Boonepass from the right.
- Neither goalie made a save over the final 45 minutes.
- St. Mary’s took four shots in the second half but two were wide, one high, and the other blocked.
- Statistically, the teams were neck-in-neck as the Seahawks edged CNU, 10-9, in shots and 6-5 in corner kicks.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers:Balogun (1 goal); Kearson (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper:Patrick Paolini(1 save, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
For Christopher Newport
- Scorers:Dail(2 goals);Davis Pillow(1 assist);Boone(1 assist)
- Goalkeeper:Zach Pedini(3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- This is the fourth time in program history, and second straight season, St. Mary’s has earned the No. 2 seed in the CAC Tournament.
- Christopher Newport moves to 18-4-2 in the series, including a 12-game (11-0-1) unbeaten streak over the Seahawks. St. Mary’s last win over CNU was a 3-1 decision in St. Mary’s City in 2005.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 27 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (14-3-3, 1-3-3 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – 2:00 p.m.
- St. Mary’s owns a 6-1 record in the series, which began in 2013 when Harrisburg joined the conference, and the Seahawks have won four in a row over Harrisburg. St. Mary’s has outscored the Lions, 16-2. Harrisburg’s only win over the Seahawks was a 1-0 double overtime decision in the 2014 CAC Tournament Semifinals in Middletown, Pennsylvania.