By: David M. Higgins II

St. Leonard, MD- A Calvert family is being helped by friends and family after an accidental fire destroyed their St. Leonard home Tuesday, January 22, 2019.

Images courtesy of the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department

The Office of the State Fire Marshal was called out to investigate a two-story, single home fire on Bandit Al Lane.

A neighbor discovered a fire on the rear porch and called 9-1-1 at 2:05 p.m. The St. Leonard Volunteer Fire Department responded with twenty-five personnel and had the fire under control in fifteen minutes.

The preliminary cause of the fire has been listed as accidental- improperly discarded smoking materials on the back porch. The estimated loss is $50,000.00(structure) and $25,000.00(contents). There were no reported injuries, but it is believed that a family cat may have perished as a result of the fire. The family is currently being helped by family and friends.

David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...