News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
FROSTBURG, Md. – Junior guard Justin Milstead dropped a season-high 22 points in a Capital Athletic Conference victory at Frostburg State University Saturday (Feb. 2) afternoon. The Seahawks (8-13, 2-8 CAC) defeated the Bobcats (10-10, 6-4 CAC) 84-77.
St. Mary’s – 84, Frostburg – 77
How It Happened
- In a game that featured seven ties and 12 lead changes, the Seahawks and Bobcats played to a 31-31 tie with 3:41 left in the half. A made layup fromMatt Ayoubgave St. Mary’s a 33-31 lead, however, Frostburg outscored the Seahawks 11-5 to finish the half. St. Mary’s headed into the locker rooms trailing Frostburg 42-38.
- The second half began with the Seahawks grabbing a 43-42 lead off of five unanswered points.Spencer Schultzaccounted for four points during the run, whileNaheed Johnadded a made free throw.
- Frostburg battled back and knotted the game up at 61 with a made three-pointer fromNicholas Johnsonat the 9:44 mark of the final half. The Seahawks kept their composure and tacked on four-straight points for a 65-61 lead.Milsteadsunk a layup andReggie Rousefollowed with two-made free throws.
- Both squads continued to show their resiliency, exchanging scores until Frostburg once again pulled ahead with a 71-68 lead. Trailing by three, the Seahawks rallied for an eight point run and held a 76-71 lead with 3:25 remaining.Schultzaccounted for six of St. Mary’s eight points during the streak. The Bobcats cut the lead to 76-73 and had to resort to sending the Seahawks to the line. St. Mary’s made the necessary free throws and captured the 84-77 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,Milsteadled the Seahawks with a season-high 22 points. Additionally,Milsteadadded four rebounds, three steals, and two assists.
- Schultzfinished with 19 points and six rebounds on the afternoon, whileDarick Kernsbrought down a team-best nine rebounds.
- Bo Scheneled the Bobcats with 14 points off the bench.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 6 at Mary Washington (14-6, 6-3 CAC) – William M. Anderson Center – Capital Athletic Conference game – 8:00 p.m