News Release, Charles County Government
On Tuesday, Feb. 5, the Board of Commissioners continued discussion of a resolution to form a Rural Land Use Designations Task Force, which will evaluate opportunities for preservation of the county’s rural heritage through existing and proposed farming, agricultural, and agri-tourism uses. The Commissioners decided to put in on their agenda when the Board’s goals and objectives are developed at a retreat scheduled on Tuesday, Feb. 26.
The Commissioners also visited the physical locations of the Economic Development Department, Department of Community Services, and Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism.
Open Session Briefings
- Economic Development Department provided an overview of the department’s role and the various projects the department is working on, including the Waldorf Urban Redevelopment Center, Maryland Airport, business development programs, craft beverage developments, and marketing efforts.
- Department of Community Services provided a briefing on the department’s role as a primary point of entry for a wide range of services that support Charles County residents in meaningful ways and access multiple generations. These services include the Housing Authority Programs, Aging and Human Service Programs, and the Charles County Advocacy Council for Children, Youth, and Families Programs.
- Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism provided an overview of the department’s role in administering and coordinating all recreational and tourism programs, activities, and special events, as well as park system planning, design, development, and maintenance. These unique, vast services benefit both residents and visitors alike.
The Commissioners approved a letter of support from the County Attorney for Maryland Airport, which is required as part of an application for an agricultural deer cooperator permit from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
- Reappointed Wayne Magoon to Planning Commission and appointed as chairperson of the Planning Commission
- Appointed Shawn Wandell Jacks to Other Post Employment Benefit Committee
- Appointed Tanya Barnett to Commission for Veterans Affairs
- Appointed Danielle Staudt, Vesselina Stoytcheva, and Samantha Johnson to Library Board of Trustees
- Reappointed Alan Harper and Tanya Butler and appointed Donald Poole and Charity Rentzel to Homeowner’s Association Dispute Review Board
- Appointed Timothy Wells to the Southern Maryland Resource Conservation and Development Board
- Commissioners recognized Red Dress Sunday on Feb. 10 and a presented a proclamation to the Southern Maryland Chain Chapter of The Links, Inc. Red Dress Sunday celebrates the extraordinary progress in women’s heart health and recognizes that more needs to be done in Charles County to safeguard women’s health for generations to come. View photo in Flickr.
- Commissioners recognized Financial Empowerment Day on Feb. 9 and presented a proclamation to the Southern Maryland Creating Assets, Savings, and Hope Coalition; the United Way of Charles County; and Lifestyles of Maryland, Inc. View photo in Flickr.
Next Commissioners Meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 12, beginning at 9 a.m.
For More Information:
Commissioners meetings are aired on CCGTV, which broadcasts on Comcast channel 95 and Verizon channel 10, and are available for streaming atwww.CharlesCountyMD.gov/media-services/ccgtv/ccgtv. Materials and minutes of the Commissioners meeting will be posted at www.boarddocs.com/md/chrlsco/Board.nsf/Public upon approval.