News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
BUENA VISTA, Va. – Gina Seifert and Hallie Persell reached double-digits in scoring in a Capital Athletic Conference loss at Southern Virginia (19-5, 10-4 CAC). The Seahawks (7-18, 3-11 CAC) dropped their last regular season game by a final score of 66-61 on Saturday (Feb. 16) afternoon.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College went up 7-3 with 2:39 left in the quarter and extended their lead to 11 points with a seven point run.Janey Mathisen,Kobe Chaney,Hallie Persell, andGina Seifertscored during the run.
- The Seahawks held a 23-15 lead at the 4:50 mark of the second quarter. The Knights picked up the pace offensively and went on to outscore the Seahawks 12-3 to end the half. St. Mary’s College headed into halftime trailing Southern Virginia 27-26.
- St. Mary’s College trailed Southern Virginia 49-45 at the end of the third stanza and looked to erase the four-point deficit in the fourth quarter. With under two minutes left to play, a clutch three-pointer fromKobe Chaneybrought the Seahawks within three. However, with short short time remaining, the Seahawks had to resort to fouling and the Knights made the necessary free throws to seal the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertled the team with a season-best 21 points, while collecting a team-high seven rebounds.Persellwas the other Seahawk to reach double-digits, knocking down 14 points and adding four rebounds.
- Amanda Woodled the Knights with 18 points off the bench.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 19 at Christopher Newport (20-5, 11-3 CAC) – Capital Athletic Conference Championship First Round – 6:00 p.m