Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, Charles County Public Schools
Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) students in the Teacher Academy of Maryland (TAM) program attended the second annual CSM Teacher Academy Conference Feb. 22 on the La Plata campus of the College of Southern Maryland.
Local students were joined at the conference with peers from Calvert and St. Mary’s counties where they attended sessions on education topics taught by CSM and CCPS staff members. TAM students learned how games can be used to engage students in math lessons, how to use reading and literacy strategies and how trauma effects children.
Along with the conference, students took part in regional Educators Rising competitions. Students who placed in the top three advance to the state conference competition next month at Towson University.
The CCPS winners in the children’s literature — kindergarten to Grade 3 category are:
- Kailla Winegar, first place, sophomore, Thomas Stone High School;
- Kennedy Bradshaw, second place, senior, Maurice J. McDonough High School; and
- Briana Lee, senior, and Gabriele Gonzalez, sophomore, third place, Thomas Stone.
The CCPS winners in the researching learning challenges category are:
- Olivia Hernandez and Jennifer Dieterle, seniors, first place, La Plata High School; and
- Priscilla Goldsmith and Madisyn Haydon, seniors, third place, McDonough.
The CCPS winner in the Educators Rising moment is:
- Emily Maljak, senior, first place, McDonough.