News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (7-4) took on Muhlenberg College (7-1) on Saturday (Mar. 23) afternoon in non-conference action. The Seahawks were edged by the Mules by a final score of 10-7.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks had a strong first quarter, scoring the only two goals of the stanza and keeping the Muhlenberg offense scoreless. St. Mary’s College tallied their first score at the 7:24 mark of the quarter whenJude BrownfoundErich Wuesthofffor the goal. Next,Max Groenfound the back of the net with just 47 seconds left in the first stanza.
- The Mules flipped the script from the first quarter to the second, tallying the only two scores of the stanza. The Seahawks and Mules headed into halftime tied 2-2.
- Muhlenberg kept their momentum going from the second quarter into the third with three-straight scores to begin the second half. Trailing 5-2, the Seahawks battled back with back-to-back goals to trim the Muhlenberg lead to one.Ben ClaffeeandRay LaPlacafired shots into the back of the cage during the run.LaPlacatallied his second score of the quarter with 2:16 remaining and the Seahawks headed into the final quarter of action trailing 6-5.
- The Mules scored four unanswered goals and took a 10-5 lead with just under eight minutes left in regulation. St. Mary’s College showed heart and attempted to make a comeback with two scores, but ultimately fell short.WuesthoffandDominic Venanziwere in charge of the final two scores.
Inside the Box Score
- LaPlaca(2g),Abe Hubbard(2a),Groen(1g, 1a), andWuesthoff(2g) led the Seahawks on the offensive end with two points each. On the defensive end,Luke McWrightled St. Mary’s College with six ground balls and two caused turnovers. In goal,Ross Snodderlycollected 10 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 30 at Southern Virginia – 2:00 p.m.