News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
BUENA VISTA, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (8-4, 1-0 CAC) prevailed over the Southern Virginia University Knights (5-7, 0-2 CAC) 22-17 on Saturday (Mar. 30) afternoon in an offensive shootout.
How It Happened
- The game began with both squads exchanging scores. Southern Virginia led 3-2 with 8:32 left in the first quarter when the Seahawks tallied back-to-back goals to take a 4-3 lead.Michael Buccistarted the run by winning the faceoff and streaking down the field for the score.Ray LaPlacacapped off the run with a goal that was assisted byJeremiah Clemmer. The Knights evened the game at four a piece, but the Seahawks responded with a three goal scoring burst to regain a 6-4 lead.Dominic Venanzi(2) andMax Groenbeat the goalkeeper during the run. The Knights tallied the final goal of the quarter and the Seahawks took a 7-5 lead into the second stanza.
- The second quarter of action was another competitive segment of the game and began with both teams exchanging scores. Tied 9-9, St. Mary’s College finished the half strong with back-to-back goals and brought an 11-9 advantage into halftime.Jude BrownandClemmerburied shots into the back of the cage to end the quarter.
- St. Mary’s College pulled ahead by four goals to start the third quarter with back-to-back goals fromClemmerandBrown. Leading 14-11 with 7:26 left in the third stanza, the Seahawks strung together their longest scoring streak of the game with five unanswered goals.Venanzi,Brown(2),LaPlaca, andClaffeeripped shots into the back of the net during the run for the 19-11 lead. The Seahawks held a 19-12 lead heading into the final quarter of action.
- In the final quarter of regulation, the Knights managed to outscore the Seahawks 5-3. Groen,Abe Hubbard, andErich Wuesthofftallied scores in the quarter for the Seahawks first Capital Athletic Conference victory of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Brown(4g, 2a) andGroen(4g, 2a) led the Seahawks on the offensive end with six points each.Venanzi(3g, 1a),Claffee(1g, 3a), andClemmer(2g, 2a) followed with four points each.
- Buccifinished 29-of-42 in faceoffs and scooped up a team-best 13 ground balls. In goal,Ross Snodderlycollected 15 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 6 vs. York – 2:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference contest | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium