News Release, MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
Leonardtown, Maryland (May 9, 2019) – MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital announced the winners of its 2019 scholarship Tuesday, May 7, during a reception held in their honor. The scholarships are funded by the Philanthropy Committee of the Hospital’s Board of Directors. Since 2001, 157 scholarships have been awarded and this year’s scholarships totaled nearly $100,000.
The 2019 scholarship winners are:
- Madeleine Bridgwater is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
- Brooke Gatton attends Leonardtown High School and will major in nursing
- Amber Gontarek is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
- Sarah Rannacher attends Leonardtown High School and will major in nursing
- Samantha Tercedo is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
- Kylee Wickline attends York College of Pennsylvania and is majoring in nursing
- Samantha Wilt attends Towson University and is majoring in speech-language pathology
- Kaitlin Zelonis is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
“I assure you that if you are one of the eight individuals sitting up here today you – and your family – should feel very proud,” said Rick Tepel, chair of the scholarship committee. “The entire committee was extremely impressed by all of the applicants for our 2019 scholarship program, and – to be honest – we had some difficult decisions to make.
“The road to this day was paved with many hours of hard work with more to come. MedStar St. Mary’s believes with your drive and determination, you will make a difference in the lives of many,” Tepel said.
The Philanthropy Committee, formerly the St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation, is a subset of MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital’s Board of Directors. The program is designed to help ensure the future of quality local healthcare. Applications are due each spring.
Visit MedStarStMarys.org/Scholarships to learn more.