By: Donna Fuqua, Charles County Public Information Office
La Plata, MD- Beginning Tuesday, Oct. 1, the Department of Planning and Growth Management will no longer accept paper permit and plan applications or submittals.
All plans, drawings, reports, and other supporting documentation must be submitted through the Charles County Permit Portal (or CSS) located at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/pgm/cpis/permits. All plans and drawings must be provided as rendered (not scanned) pdf files.
This portal provides information on the application process, as well as frequently asked questions. To apply, click on “Apply for a Permit/Plan Review” highlighted in green towards the bottom of the page. If you need help applying, visit the Permits Center at the County Government Building (200 Baltimore Street, La Plata). Bring electronic copies of the items necessary to complete your application.
The following exceptions apply:
- Legacy building permits (permits applied for before October 22, 2018) will only be accepted in paper format.
- Commercial Building Permits must be applied for online, but paper copies are to be submitted for review.
- One paper copy for the following plans must be submitted to the Planning Division for Health Department review:
o Preliminary Subdivision Plans
o Final Plat Applications
o Site Development Plans
o Conceptual Subdivision Plans
- A paper copy of all Building Permit Submittals must be submitted by the applicant to the Charles County Health Department for review.
- A paper copy of Development Services plans must be submitted by the applicant to the Charles County Health Department and the Soil Conservation District for review.
- Staff requests paper copies.
- A paper copy of the stamped approved plans will still be required to be located at the construction/work site for inspection purposes.
For more information contact the Department of Planning and Growth Management, at 301-645-0540. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.