YORK, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team (10-5-1, 4-4 CAC) traveled to York College of Pennsylvania to take on the Spartans (8-6-2, 4-4 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference action on Wednesday (Oct. 23) afternoon. A late goal from Roshawn Panton lifted the Seahawks to a 1-0 victory over the Spartans.
St. Mary’s’ College – 1, York – 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks and Spartans failed to find the back of the net in the first half. St. Mary’s College controlled possession on the offensive end of the field for most of the first half and outshot the Spartans 7-2. Spartan goalkeepers collected three saves to keep the Seahawks off the board.
- Both squads pushed for offensive chances in the second half and the Seahawks eventually took advantage of a scoring opportunity in the 74th minute to take the lead.Pantonburied his shot into the far right corner off a well-placed ball fromIsaac Ekobo. The Seahawks buckled down on the offensive end for the remainder of the game and hung on for the tight victory.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,Pantonled the Seahawks with the lone goal in today’s contest, whileEkoboadded an assist. With tonight’s goal,Pantonis now third on the team in goals with eight and points with 18.Ekobonotched his second assist and eighth point of the season. In goal,Cristian Reyesmade his fourth start of the year and earned the victory. In addition,Reyescollected four saves on the afternoon.
- As a team, the Seahawks held the advantage in shots (14-6) and corner kicks (3-2).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 26 vs. Mary Washington | 7:00 PM | Senior Night | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks