ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball (0-5) team fell this evening (Nov. 24) to Averett University (4-2) in their second game of the Jean Edge Classic. The Seahawks were edged 77-63.
St. Mary’s College – 63, Averett – 77
How it Happened
- The Seahawks were the first to get points on the board with Kyaira Priest sinking a three-pointer off an assist from Kelli Jenkins. With 4:37 remaining in the first quarter, the Cougars and Seahawks were tied at 14-14. For two minutes and 28 seconds, the score remained at 18-16 with Averett in the lead. Caitlin Mays tied up the game for the Seahawks off an assist from Kyaira Priest. Soon after, Averett committed a foul that created an opportunity for Mays to make a free-throw and for the Seahawks to take a one-point lead. Averett drained a late jump-shot making the score 20-19 entering the second quarter.
- The Cougars started the second quarter strong with a ten-point scoring run. Gina Seifert put an end to their run by making a jump-shot to bring the Seahawks within nine. Next, Averett went on another ten-point scoring run that Seifert eventually ended with a layup. For the last 56 seconds of the quarter, both teams held each other defensively, keeping the score at 47-27 entering the third quarter.
- Averett scored the first points of the third quarter, but the Seahawks quickly answered back with a three-point shot scored by Stephanie Howell. With 2:02 remaining, Seifert drained both free throws making the score 57-38. Late in the quarter, the Seahawks tallied four more points taking the score to 61-44 entering the final quarter.
- For two minutes and 37 seconds in the fourth quarter, both teams remained scoreless. Howell drained a jumper that broke the scoreless streak and made the score 68-46. Ana Tingler made a defensive rebound which quickly transitioned to Chyna Landon who assisted Mays. Tingler made the last basket of the evening, but the Cougar lead was too much for the Seahawks to overcome.
Inside the Box Score
- Mays led the team today in scoring, recording 12 points. Priest collected one steal this evening which was good for the team-high, and Howell had the team-high for blocks with one. Priest and Mays both had two assists this evening which was good for the team’s best mark.
- Jenkins now holds the season-high three-point percentage at 47.1%. Jenkins and Seifert are tied for points per game with 12 each, respectively.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 1 at Goucher College | 6:00 P.M. | Decker Sports & Recreation Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks