Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
TOWSON, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (0-6) fell this evening (Dec. 1) to Goucher College (4-2) 64-52 while on the road.
St. Mary’s College – 52, Goucher – 64
How it Happened
- Kelli Jenkinswas the first to score this evening by draining a three-point shot. Goucher soon after went on an eight-point scoring run, which was halted byStephanie Howelloff an assist fromJenkins.HowellandGina Seiferthad a combined total of three defensive rebounds in the final minutes of the first quarter. The Gophers went into the second quarter with a nine-point lead.
- A defensive foul lead to Goucher getting the first points of the second quarter. However,Howellquickly answered back with a layup off an assist fromJenkins. The Gophers went on a seven-point run bringing the score to 25-11. The Seahawks then had a string of fantastic defensive plays, which allowed them to bring the score to 25-20, still in Goucher’s favor.
- Early in the third quarter, Goucher went on a nine-point scoring run. In the minutes following,Caitlin Mays,Kyaira Priest, andSeiferttallied crucial points to decrease the point deficit.Cameron Mangoldhad a steal which led toPriestmaking a layup, bringing the Seahawks into the fourth quarter with a 12-point deficit.
- The Seahawks had an impressive offensive run in the fourth quarter with an eight-point scoring run. A few late fouls gave Goucher free-throw opportunities that took their lead into the final minutes of the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertled the Seahawks with 13 points on the evening.Jenkinsfollowed with 12 andPriestrecorded 10, respectively.Mangoldreached a season-high for herself and a team-high this evening with shooting percentage, which was 50%.Seifertled this evening in rebounds with 11 and tied withMangoldin steals with three apiece.Howell,Jenkins, andPriestall had two assists each this evening which was good for the team’s best today. Additionally,SeifertandMangoldled the team with three steals each.
- Jenkinsled the team in three-point field-goals this evening with four total.Jenkinshas the highest three-point field-goal percentage this season sitting at 46.5%.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 7 at Lehman College | 4:00 P.M. | The Apex
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks