BAYAMON, Puerto Rico – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (3-7) concluded their trip to Puerto Rico when they took on the Augsburg University Auggies (7-2) on Saturday (Dec. 21) night. The Seahawks fell to the Auggies 90-73.
St. Mary’s College – 73, Augsburg – 90
How It Happened
- Tied 5-5 early in the first half, the Seahawks grabbed the momentum with a seven-point run to take a 12-5 lead. Miles Gillette accounted for four points during the run and Jalen Hayes drained a three-ball to cap off the scoring streak. The Seahawks built their lead to 19-9, but the Auggies battled back and captured a 22-21 advantage with 11 minutes remaining in the first half.
- Augsburg built their lead up to 12 points and led St. Mary’s College 41-29 with 3:37 left in the opening half. The Seahawks edged the Auggies 5-4 for the remainder of the half and headed into the locker rooms trailing 45-34.
- Gillette sunk back-to-back layups to start the second half and cut the Augsburg lead to 45-38. St. Mary’s College trimmed the Augsburg lead to eight, but never threatened the Auggie lead for the remainder of the contest.
Inside the Box Score
- Gary Grant led the Seahawks on the offensive end with a team-best 26 points. Gillette contributed in multiple facets of the game by finishing with a double-double, recording 17 points and tallying a team-high 10 rebounds. The Seahawks did not have another double-digit scorer in the contest. On the defensive end, Jack Foley led St. Mary’s College with two blocks and two steals. Additionally, Tryllian Young hustled for two steals.
- Booker Coplin led the Auggies with 29 points and 12 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 28 at Washington & Lee | 2:00 p.m.