ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-18, 0-7 CAC) fell this afternoon (Feb. 8) to Capital Athletic Conference competitor the University of Mary Washington (16-7, 5-3 CAC). This was the second matchup of the season for the two teams. Today’s game ended in a Seahawks’ loss with a final score of 72-46.
St. Mary’s College – 46, Mary Washington – 72
How it Happened
- The Seahawks kept a tight game in the first quarter with the score tied at 14.Stephanie Howellhad an impressive offensive game in the first quarter draining nine points and snagging four rebounds.Ashleigh Bonannocontributed three points alongsideGina Seifertwho recorded two.
- St. Mary’s College kept up their stride into the second quarter outscoring the Eagles 17-15. The Seahawks were able to pull off a seven-point scoring run by capitalizing off of turnovers. Nine points were scored off of turnovers for the Seahawks.Kelli Jenkinsled the Seahawks in points with eight total. BothHowellandKyaira Priestdrained three points in the second quarter withSeifertadding two andBonannoadding one.
- The Seahawks entered the second half ahead of the Eagles by two points. Mary Washington fell into an offensive stride recording 27 points in the third quarter, compared to St. Mary’s College’s ten points.Caitlin Maysled the Seahawks in points with four total. St. Mary’s College found scoring success inside the paint for two points and off of fast breaks for two points as well.
- Mary Washington continued their lead in the final quarter with the help of a ten-point scoring-run.Priestled the team in points with three total alongsideSeifertwho contributed two.Howellsnagged three rebounds and tallied one assist in the final minutes of the game. Mary Washington’s lead was too much to come back from which made them victorious.
Inside the Box Score
- Howellrecorded a double-double this afternoon with 13 points and 12 rebounds. Not far behind wasJenkinswith 11 points.HowellandPriesttied this evening with assists recording three apiece.
- For Mary Washington,Maddie Shifflettrecorded 24 points, a new season-high for her.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 12 at Christopher Newport | 6:00 PM | The Freeman Center