SPARKS, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team (1-1) traveled to the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame to take on the No. 19 Dickinson College Red Devils (1-0) on Saturday (Feb. 15) afternoon. The Seahawks were downed by the Red Devils by a final score of 15-8.
St. Mary’s College – 8, Dickinson – 15
How It Happened
- Dickinson jumped out a 2-0 lead at the 7:37 mark of the opening quarter, but the Seahawks responded with a goal fromBen Claffeeto cut the Red Devil lead in half. Next, the Red Devils answered with a pair of goals to extend their lead to 4-1. St. Mary’s College finished the first frame strong with a score fromJack Brocatoand headed into the second quarter of action trailing 4-2.
- The Red Devils tallied back-to-back goals to open the quarter to grab a four-goal advantage. However, the Seahawks fired back with a three-goal run, cutting the Dickinson lead to 6-5.Dominic Venanzi(2) andJude Brownfound the back of the cage during the run. Two of the three goals during the Seahawk run were scored on extra-man opportunities.
- Trailing by just one point entering the second half, the Seahawk offense stalled in the third quarter and failed to find the back of the net. Conversely, the Red Devils recorded six goals in the third frame and took a comfortable 13-5 lead into the fourth quarter. Dickinson scored on three man-up opportunities in the third quarter.
- The Seahawks edged the Red Devils 3-2 in the final stanza, but couldn’t overcome their large deficit.Jeremiah Clemmer,Brocato, andErich Wuesthoffnetted goals for St. Mary’s College in the fourth quarter.
Inside the Box Score
- Venanziled the Seahawks on the offensive end with five points, recording two goals and three assists.Brown(1g, 2a) andClemmer(1g, 2a) followed with three points each.Mitch Boudreauhustled for eight ground balls andMichael Thornecollected four. In goal,Kyrle Preisgathered 21 saves.
- Ben Levinled the Red Devils with five goals.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 22 at Elizabethtown | 2:00 p.m. | Wolf Field