News Release, Charles COunty Public Information Office
On Tuesday, March 31, the Board of Commissioners received an update from the Charles County Health Department on the latest efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Dr. Suzan Lowry, MD FAAP, the Charles County Health Officer, shared information on the testing, treatment, and prevention efforts for COVID-19 locally. Residents are reminded to call the Department of Health’s call center at 301-609-6717 for urgent questions and concerns; starting Wednesday, April 1, the call center hours have expanded to 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.
Department of Emergency Services Director Michelle Lilly provided an overview of the Emergency Operation Center’s work, including continued daily coordination with local and state-affiliated agencies.
Budget Work Session
The Board of County Commissioners held a budget work session to review the fiscal 2021General Fund Revenue Outlookand fiscal 2021-2025Capital Improvement Program, as well as fiscal 2021Fees and Charges. Department of Fiscal and Administrative Services staff provided an update on the request for a relief fund in response to COVID-19.
The Department of Fiscal and Administrative Services provided an update on the requested Relief Fund for COVID-19, including the potential forCharitable Trust’s involvementregarding nonprofit organizations andEconomic Development Department’s involvementwhich would include temporary modification to the Target Industry Incentives Loan Fund and Business Development Loan Fund to address COVID-19 as it relates to local businesses. The County Commissioners approved a motion to move $200,000 into a relief fund for local businesses and $100,000 for a relief fund for nonprofit allocation by Charitable Trust. Economic Development Department also reminded residents to visit their website atwww.MeetCharlesCounty.comfor business resources in relation to COVID-19.
Commissioners approved the following items:
- Resolution 2020-05 to extend theCharles County State of Emergency declarationuntil April 30.
- A fiscal 2020budget transfer requestto support the cost of installing a temporary filtration system to meet contractual obligations with Competitive Power Ventures.
- A fiscal 2020budget transfer requestto fund contract management services which will assist with timely completion of projects.
- A fiscal 2020contingency transfer requestin order to install a permanent pump-around connection at the Mattawoman Wastewater Treatment Plant’s Reclaimed Water Pump Station which allows for needed repairs.
- A fiscal 2020budget amendment increaseto match funds awarded by the county for the USDA Rural Housing Preservation Grant.
- Charles County’s participation in theJoint Statementon Regional Cooperation Agreement among Maryland Capital Region Local Economic Development Organizations.
Next Commissioners Session: April 7, 2020; Additional details to be provided onBoardDocsby April 2.
Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.