PATUXENT RIVER NAVAL AIR STATION, MD – The Sailor of the Year Program was established by the Chief of Naval Operations to recognize the superior performance of enlisted personnel, pay grades E-1 to E-6, and emphasize outstanding achievement and professionalism, exemplary personal conduct, command impact, mission contribution, dedication to self-improvement, and superb initiative.
Congratulations go out to Naval Aircrewman 1st Class Jonathan Smitherman, NAS Senior Sailor of the Year; Aviation Boatswains Mate (Handling) 2nd Class Iris Aqunio, NAS Junior Sailor of the Year; and Aviation Boatswains Mate (Handling) 3rd Class David Miller, NAS Bluejacket of the Year.
AWS1 JONATHAN SMITHERMAN
Search & Rescue Operations Leading Petty Officer
- Supervised13Sailorsintheexecutionof562flighthours,supporting24/7coverageforhighvisibilitytest events across 52 tenantcommands
- Dedicated leadership resulted in two Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals; seven Navyand Marine Corps Achievement Medals; three Flag Letters of Commendation; two Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medals: two MAPs; two promotions; and a 100% retentionrate
- Unrelenting perseverance and steadfast devotion to duty reflected credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. navalservice
ABH2 IRIS AQUINO
Airfield Services Division Section Leader
- Led 21 Sailors in the completion of over 5,200 preventive and corrective maintenance actions totalingmore than 4,563 manhours
- ExpertiseensuredPaxRiver’sTrapnellAirfieldwas100%missionreadyatalltimes,resultinginanoverall grade of “Outstanding” on the 2020 Carrier Airfield Service Unity Inspection andCertification
ABH3 DAVID MILLER
Assistant Airfield Services Division Section Leader
- Led 10 Sailors in the completion of more than 5,200 preventive and corrective maintenanceactions, totaling 4,563 manhours
- ExpertiseensuredPaxRiver’sTrapnellAirfieldwas100%missionreadyatalltimes,resultinginanoverall grade of “Outstanding” on the 2020 Carrier Airfield Service Unit Inspection andCertification
The Sailors’ exceptional professionalism, unrelenting perseverance, and selfless devotion to duty reflected credit upon themselves and was in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. naval service.
“We are very proud of these Sailors who have demonstrated outstanding skill and leadership by example,” said NAS Patuxent River Command Master Chief Abel Griego. “I look forward to seeing these young leaders taking the initiative to mentor peers and subordinates to continue the strong tradition of achievement and recognition of our Pax Pros.”