CHESTERFIELD, Va. – First-year Luke Schwenk (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) added two more school records to his resume Friday evening as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s swim team began action at the 2021 TYR Yellow Jacket Invitational hosted by Randolph-Macon College at the Collegiate School Aquatics Center.
St. Mary’s College is currently seventh in the 10-team field with 166 points after the completion of Session I. Washington College leads the field with 492 points followed by The Catholic University of America in second (411.5) and University of Lynchburg in third (345). Frostburg State University (340.5) and Emory and Henry College (241) round out the Top 5.
How It Happened
- The first record set by Schwenk came in the 50 freestyle as he captured the event with a time of 20.97, shaving off 17-hundredths of a second from the old mark of 21.14 set by Colin Cassady ’19 on February 1, 2019.
- The second record occurred in the 400 medley relay when Schwenk led off the fifth-place 400 medley relay. He broke his own 100-backstroke record of 51.89 from two weeks ago as Schwenk swam a 50.41 in the first leg of the 400 medley relay.
- The foursome of Schwenk, junior captain Jack Kennedy (Northampton, Pa./Northampton Area), sophomore Sam Shenot (Upper Marlboro, Md./Leonardtown), and junior Anri Cifuentes Robinson (Easton, Md./Easton) posted a 1:29.48 to take fifth in the 200 freestyle relay.
- Joining Schwenk on the fifth-place 400 medley relay were Cifuentes Robinson, Shenot, and junior Sebastian Ludwig (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) as the quartet touched the wall in 3:38.89.
- Kennedy collected a 13th-place finish in the 500 freestyle in 5:03.56.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 4 at TYR Yellow Jacket Invitational – Chesterfield, Va. / Collegiate School Aquatic Center