Aurora, NY– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (10-10) bounced back this afternoon (Feb. 5) against United East Conference foe Wells College (1-20). The final score was 65-39, improving the Seahawks’ in-conference record to 8-5.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks scored the last six points of the quarter and took a 20-9 lead into the first break. Karon Williams got the scoring going for the Seahawks with a nice jumper just under the 10-minute mark. St. Mary’s had six different players in the scoring column in what was a very balanced offensive attack
- St. Mary’s leaned on their defense during the second period of play, picking up four steals in the quarter. Karon Williams dropped seven points in the quarter and continued to be the catalyst on offense. Cameron Mangold came up with a block in the final minutes to propel the Seahawks into halftime 31-17
- The third quarter was an offensive explosion for the Seahawks. St. Mary’s was able to score 16 of the first 18 points of the period and used that run to fuel their success the rest of the game. The Seahawks were able to keep momentum going in the quarter through efficiency from the free-throw line. Stephanie Howell was able to do it all in the quarter, contributing heavily on both the offensive and defensive end.
- Kierra Johnson was able to put the finishing touches on a Seahawk victory with a crafty layup in the final minutes on the game. St. Mary’s was able to pull out the win 65-39, shooting just about 40% from the field. The Seahawks were able to complete the regular season sweep of the Express.
Inside the Box Score
- Karon Williams picked up a game high 19 points and led the Seahawks with seven steals.
- Cameron Mangold finished with 10 points and four rebounds. Mangold also had two blocks in the contest.
- Stephanie Howell chipped in 10 points and hustled foe three rebounds.
St. Mary’s College Women’s Basketball will return to action this Wednesday, February 9th when they take on the University of Mary Washington. The Eagles and Seahawks will tip off at 6:00 pm.