St. Mary’s City, MD– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (2-1) hosted Catholic University (3-4) in a mid-week non-conference showdown this afternoon (Mar. 2).The Seahawks fell to the Cardinals 12-6.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks struck first in the bottom of the first inning. Dan Weeden hit a deep drive to right field that brought home a runner giving St. Mary’s a 1-0 lead. Weeden tripled on the play. The Seahawks took their one point lead all the way to the sixth inning.
- Catholic began to get things going offensively in the sixth inning and scored the next 12 runs of the game. Catholic led going into the 9th inning 12-1.
- St. Mary’s began to rally in the final inning of play. Gavin Wathen, Avery Sims, and Myles Pittman all knocked in RBI’s to cut the deficit to eight. Dan Weeden got in on the action with a single that brought home two more runners to trim the lead to just six for the Cardinals. Despite the late charge, St. Mary’s effort fell just short and they could not complete the comeback attempt.
Inside the Box Score
- Dan Weeden led the way for the Seahawks with two hits and three RBI’s.
- Gavin Wahen, Avery Sims, and Myles Pittman all contributed a single RBI..
- Jake Wills pitched six innings and struck out six batters. Nolan Sawatsky and Nick Testoni also made appearances on the mound in this contest. Testoni struck out two of the seven batters he faced.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 6 vs Eastern Connecticut | 11 AM