BALTIMORE, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s outdoor track & field team posted 14 personal records and four school records in finishing 14th in the 19-team field at the Johns Hopkins University/Loyola University Maryland Invitational on Saturday.
Additionally, junior captain Ethan Carpenter (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) qualified in a second event at the All-Atlantic Region Track and Field Conference Outdoor Championships on May 18-19 in Bethlehem, Pa. Carpenter qualified in discus after finishing fourth with a school-record distance of 42.65m, beating his previous school mark of 40.93m set at the Goucher College Blue & Gold Classic on April 15. On March 19, Carpenter qualified for the AARTFC Championships in the hammer.
How It Happened
- Carpenter added a fourth-place finish in the hammer with a mark of 48.60m while coming in 11th in the shot put with 11.92m.
- The foursome of junior Alex Gouin (Elkridge, Md./Bethesda Chevy Chase), senior Christian Oliverio (Beltsville, Md./Gonzaga College), first-year Zane Obi (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard), and sophomore Emmanuel Douge (Frederick, Md./Oakdale) finished ninth in the 4x100m relay with a school-record time of 45.50.
- In the 3,000m steeple, first-year Patton Harbourt (Gaithersburg, Md./T.S. Wootton) crossed the finish line in a school-record time of 11:51.04 as Harbourt shaved nearly 19 seconds off his previous school record of 12:09.64 set at the Goucher Blue & Gold Classic.
- Douge came in 11th in the 100m with a wind-aided time of 11.21 while taking 20th in the 200m with a school-record time of 22.79.
- Junior Marion Lajara (Rockville, Md./Einstein) took 16th in the discus with a personal record (PR) of 31.29m while adding a 20th place finish in the hammer with 23.13m.
- Sophomore captain William Christophel (Greensboro, Md./North Caroline) led the Seahawks in the 800m with an 11th-place finish in 2:00.49 while senior Tyler Wilson (Silver Spring, Md./Einstein) posted a PR of 2:16.22 for 45th place and senior Caleb Shankle (Gaithersburg, Md./Richard Montgomery) clocked a PR of 2:31.73 for 47th.
- Sophomore Chamarr Auber (Sykesville, Md./Century) picked up a PR in the hammer with a distance of 31.40m for 17th while finishing 21st in the shot put with 9.50m.
- Oliverio ran the 400m hurdles for the first time this season and placed 20th with a PR of 1:05.73.
- Christophel tallied a 26th-place finish in the 1500m in 4:11.60 followed by Wilson in 50th with a PR of 4:32.48, first-year Nate Norris (Owings, Md./Northern) in 52nd with a PR of 4:36.85, and Shankle in 59th with a PR of 4:54.31.
- St. Mary’s College collected three PRs in the 400m as Gouin came in 37th with a time of 55.72 followed by sophomore Quentin Pastore (Frederick, Md./Towson) in 41st in 57.45, and Norris in 44th in 1:00.84.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- May 6-7 at Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference Championships – Newport News, Va.