Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
Anne Arundel County will open warming centers this evening, December 12, 2017 through Thursday morning, December 14, 2017, in response to extremely cold forecast temperatures. The National Weather Service has forecasted wind chill temperatures below 10 degrees. Warming centers will open tonight at 6:00 p.m. until Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:00 a.m. The following locations will be available to provide warming relief:
The Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will designate the following Senior Centers as warming centers from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 13, 2017 to provide warming relief to vulnerable populations.
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center: 202 Hammonds Lane Brooklyn Park
- O’Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will serve as warming centers from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 and Wednesday, December 13, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the following locations:
- Annapolis Regional Library: 1410 West Street, Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The Anne Arundel County Police will designate the following Precincts as warming centers from 6:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 12, 2017 until 8:00 a.m. Thursday, December 14, 2017.
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Layer your clothing to have more flexibility and control over how warm you stay. Avoid cotton clothing for winter activities.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Most hypothermia cases occur due to an unexpected change in the weather or temperature.
- Wear a warm hat; up to 50 percent of body heat is lost through the head.
- Avoid getting wet when the temperature dips.
- Wear waterproof boots or shoes to keep your feet dry.
- Drink plenty of water. Avoid nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Store several days’ worth of non-perishable food and bottled water.
- Keep several days’ worth of medications.
- Keep fireplaces and wood-burning stoves clean.
- Never leave space heaters on and unattended.
- Ensure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are operating properly.
- Check on older adults and neighbors and relatives with disabilities.