Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
This list will be continually updated by county as information comes in.
- Federal agencies in the DC area have a 2-hour delay, with the option for unscheduled leave/telework
- Marine Corps Base Quantico announcement. Base is open, code yellow on Thursday, January 4, 2018. Reasonable delays for reporting to work are excused. Unscheduled leave may be authorized. Check with your chain of command for details.
DoDEA Schools are reporting Code Yellow “DoDEA Schools on Quantico are reporting that they are CLOSED for students… 8:57 a.m.)
Staff – Reasonable delays authorized
- Due to inclement weather, day consumers are not required to attend WTC classes today. Residential consumers are expected to attend class if the program is open.
SoMD/State of Maryland:
- College of Southern Maryland: Due to weather advisories, all CSM campuses will open at 10 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 4. Monitor csmd.edu for updates
- State of Maryland Offices Closed: St Mary’s, Calvert, Charles
- State of Maryland Offices Liberal Leave: Anne Arundel, Prince George’s County (Liberal leave is in effect for the following counties beginning 6:00 am until end of day shift. Emergency essential employees should report as scheduled.?) Note: This closing and/or liberal leave information applies to principal units and independent agencies in the Executive Branch except educational units under the jurisdiction of the University of Maryland, Morgan State University, St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Maryland School for the Deaf and Baltimore City Community College.??
- Maryland Courts: The following courts have reported closings/delays.If a court is not listed, contact the court to determine its status. See Courts Directory for contact information.
Thursday, January 4, 2018
- Court of Appeals will open at 10:00 a.m.; court arguments will begin at 10:30 a.m.
Court of Special Appeals will open at 10:00 a.m.
Anne Arundel County Circuit Court will open at 10:30 a.m.
Anne Arundel County District Court will open at 10:30 a.m.; staff report at 10:00 a.m.
Calvert County Circuit and District Courts are closed.
Charles County Circuit Court and Clerk’s Office will open at 10:00 a.m.
Charles County District Court will open 2 hours late.
Prince George’s County Circuit and District Courts are closed.
St. Mary’s County Circuit and District Courts are closed.
Court offices, meetings or events in the Annapolis area only
- Administrative Office of the Courts will open at 10:00 a.m.
Court of Appeals and Court of Special Appeals Clerks’ Offices will open at 10:00 a.m.
District Court Headquarters will open at 10:00 a.m.
Court Related Agencies will open at 10:00 a.m.
JCECC will open at 10:00 a.m.
Maryland State Law Library will open at 10:00 a.m.
- Workforce & Technology Center’s Work Readiness Program 2 and Environmental Services Training program are closed today.
- Workforce & Technology Center’s Auto General Service Technician and Auto Detailing / Refinishing classes are closed today.
- MD Department of Natural Resources: SERVICE CENTER CLOSURES: The Salisbury, Prince Frederick and Centreville offices are all closed today.
Anne Arundel County:
- AACPS OPERATIONS UPDATE FOR JANUARY 4: Due to inclement weather, all Anne Arundel County Public Schools and offices will be closed today. A Code Red is in effect for employees. Unit III personnel must report to their work locations as required . ( As previously announced, all schools will open 2 hours late on Friday, January 5)
- Anne Arundel County Public Libraries: Thursday Opening at noon
- Due to the extreme weather conditions, all senior activity centers will be closed today, Thursday, January 4th, 2018. All senior activity centers will be open at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, January 5th, 2018. Lunch will not be served at any Nutrition Program sites. Senior Center Plus will be canceled as well. Friday classes beginning at 10:00 a.m. or later will be held as scheduled.For any questions about Transportation, please call 410-222-0022.For more information, or for anyone needing accommodations, contact the Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities at 410-222-4257. TTY users, please call via Maryland Relay 7-1-1.
- All Anne Arundel County Government Offices Opening at 10:00 AM on January 4thDue to the inclement weather, Anne Arundel County Government will open at 10:00 a.m. today, January 4th with a liberal leave policy in effect. Emergency and essential employees must report to work at their normally scheduled hours.
- Calvert County Public Schools are now CLOSED for today, Jan. 4, 2018.CCPS will be closed on Thursday, January 4, 2018. Code Red for 12-month employees.• All emergency personnel report as usual.
• All other personnel do not report to work.
• Child care is closed.
• Afternoon/Evening activities are canceled.
- Black Belt Academy will be operating on a 2 hour delay January 4th due to the late opening at Calvert County Public Schools. A decision will be made for the schools by 7 am about a possible closure, we will follow their lead. Any information regarding closure will be posted as soon as a decision is made.
All Calvert County government offices are closed Jan. 4.
The Calvert County circuit and district courts are closed Jan. 4.
County bus service is not available Jan. 4.
All county Parks and Recreation activities, rentals and programs are canceled for Jan. 4.
The county’s community centers, nature center, parks, the Chesapeake Hills Golf Course and the Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center are closed Jan. 4.
County convenience centers and the Appeal Landfill are closed Jan. 4.
Calvert County libraries are closed today.
The Calvert Marine Museum is closed.
- Charles Co. (MD) Schools are now CLOSED for today, Jan. 4, 2018. Code Red for employees.The following facilities and services will be closed today:
• Nanjemoy Community Center
• All senior centers
• All school-based community centers
• Lackey High School, Donald M. Wade Aquatic Center, and North Point High School indoor pools.
• Charles County Public Schools and activitiesThe following facilities will make a decision on operations by 2 p.m. today:
• Elite Gymnastics and Recreation Center
• Port Tobacco Recreation Center
- Charles County Government will open a 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan.4 with the liberal leave policy in effect for all non-essential employees. Essential personnel and employees required to maintain operations during inclement weather are to report to work as scheduled.
- VanGO operations will start at 10 a.m. today, Thursday, Jan. 4.
- Naval Surface Warfare Center Indian Head EOD Technology Division- Open with option for unscheduled leave/Unscheduled telework.
- Charles County Landfill and Recycling Center’s: Delayed Opening; will open at 10 am
- Charles County Circuit Court will open at 10 a.m. today, Jan. 4.
- Town of La Plata: Trash collection adjustment—-Due to the weather, trash collection for Thursday, Jan. 4 will take place on Friday, Jan. 5.
- The Humane Society of Charles County is closed.
- State’s Attorney’s Office is now closed.
- All American Harley Davidson in Hughesville is closed today
Prince George’s County:
- Joint Base Andrews: January 4, 2018, is open with two-hour delayed reporting for non-mission essential personnel. Mission essential personnel should report on time. Please contact your chain of command to discuss unscheduled leave or telework.
- Prince George’s County Government Will OPEN AT 10:30 A.M. for Non-Essential Employees. All County Buildings will open at 10:30 a.m.
- Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS) – Code Yellow – Schools and offices are closed. EMERGENCY PERSONNEL only must report to work.
St. Mary’s County:
- St. Mary’s County Public Schools: Closed for Thursday, January 4, 2018
- Code 3 for school Employees- Schools and offices are closed. No employees should report to work. Administrative leave will be provided for twelve-month employees.*Designated maintenance emergency personnel should contact the Division of Supporting Services at (301) 475-4256, extension 9, for directions as to when to report to work.This means that on a day that schools are closed for students no employees are to report to work. However, designated maintenance emergency personnel should contact the Division of Supporting Services at (301) 475-4256, extension 9 as to when to report to work. *Designated emergency personnel should report to work as directed when calling in to the Division of Supporting Services or when directed to do so and when they are comfortable doing so with regard to the road and weather conditions.) Operations personnel should follow the departmental protocol and phone tree instructions.*Designated emergency personnel are twelve-month employees assigned to the maintenance and operations areas who perform duties vital to the continuity to school facilities, safety, or other crucial operations and are required to be at work during emergency situations. However, designated emergency personnel should travel only when they are comfortable with the weather conditions of the roads. Special exceptions will be communicated by the department head depending upon the severity of the weather conditions.
- UPDATE: NAS Patuxent River Operating under Restricted Access/Telework Status due to Weather Jan. 4, 2018NAS Patuxent River has Restricted Access until 5 p.m. local time Jan. 4, 2018 for all but Critical Personnel due to weather conditions. Critical personnel must report to work as previously scheduled. Non-critical personnel should not report to work. Admin leave is granted for civil service employees designated non-critical. Civil service employees scheduled to telework and those with situational telework agreements should telework unless circumstances prevent it. Check with your command for specific guidance. Contract employees should contact their company for guidance.
Gates 2 and 3 remain closed, critical personnel should access the base via Gate 1.
The installation will continue to monitor the weather and will update its status at 3 p.m.
- The Arc Southern Maryland’s offices in St. Mary’s, Calvert, and Charles Counties will be CLOSED Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018. No transportation will be provided.
- St. Mary’s College of Maryland is closed. Essential employees must report at their designated time.
- All St. Mary’s County Administrative Offices are closed
- Non-Public School transportation will not operate
- All Recreation and Parks programs operating in the Public Schools is cancelled
- All Recreation and Parks facilities are closed
- STS Transit is closed and will not operate
- The six (6) Convenience Centers and St, Andrews Landfill are closed
- All three Senior Activity Centers (Garvey, Loffler and Northern) are closed and no
meals will be delivered
- All St. Mary’s County Library locations (Charlotte Hall, Leonardtown & Lexington
Park) are closed
- St. Mary’s County Circuit Courthouse is closed
- St. Mary’s Ryken will be closed on Thursday, January 4, due to inclement weather. Code 3 for employees.
- Southern Maryland Women’s Healthcare, P.A. are CLOSED today, January 4, 2018 due to inclement weather! If you had an appointment today, the office will contact you to reschedule.
- St. Mary’s County Museums sites and offices are closed today, Thursday, January 4, 2018.
- The St. Mary’s County Regional Airport remains open at this time. The airport reports runways, taxiways and ramps are 100% snow covered. Helicopters are still able to operate.
- Pax River Naval Air Museum is closed today
- Hao Orthodontics: Office will be closed today – Thursday Jan 4th, 2018. We will be reaching out this morning to reschedule all patients today.
- Care Net Pregnancy Center of Southern Maryland Centers (Lexington Park, Leonardtown and Prince Frederick) will be closed today.