Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
The “Prepare Me Calvert” mobile app is a must-have app for emergency preparedness and information. It puts critical, real-time information at users’ fingertips in the unlikely event of a regional emergency and helps residents stay prepared. Citizens are encouraged to download “Prepare Me Calvert” now for iOS (Apple) and Android devices for free through theApple App Storeor theGoogle Playmarket.
Some of the many features of the app include:
- Alerts for actual emergencies that scroll across the screen
- A weather section providing information based on users’ geographical locations along with guidance on how to respond to the weather conditions
- Information on traffic, shelters, school closings and power outages
- An “I’m OK” feature allowing users to send messages to loved ones—when phone systems are clogged in an emergency—letting them know their status during an emergency
- A “Where Am I” feature that can send the user’s exact location to any recipient via text, email, Facebook or Twitter
- A sign-up area for people to register themselves if they, or a loved one, have special needs, want to sign up to receive Calvert County ALERTs (see below)or who wish to join theCommunity Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Residents can also sign up forCalvert County ALERTto receive timely information about various emergency and non-emergency situations in the county. Calvert County ALERT messages can be sent to individuals using a variety of contact methods – cell phone, landline, email, text messaging, fax, pager and more – ensuring that residents and county staff can receive life-saving emergency information and important public service announcements in minutes. More than one of each device can be registered.
The system allows the county to target specific geographic areas for alerts or send alerts countywide. It can also gather information on citizens with special needs who may need additional help in an emergency and receive feedback on important questions.