Date:  3/4/18

Time:  4:56 p.m.

Location / Address:   2480 Smith Point Road, Nanjemoy, Charles County, Maryland

Type of Incident:  Fire

Description of Structure / Property:  2 Story Single Family Home

Owner / Occupants:  Brian and Tammy Moreland

Injuries or Deaths:  None

Estimated $ Loss: Structure: $ 20,000.00      Contents: $ 20,000.00

Smoke Alarm Status:  Present – Activated

Fire Alarm / Sprinkler Status:  None

Arrests(s):  None

Primary Responding Fire Department:  Nanjemoy Volunteer Fire Department

# of Alarms:    1     # Of Firefighters:  30

Time to Control:  0 – Fire was extinguished prior to Fire Department arrival.

Discovered By:  Homeowners

Area of Origin:  Kitchen

Preliminary Cause:  Accidental

Additional Information:   The fire was the result of a malfunction involving the coffee maker once the power was restored.  The homeowners were alerted to the fire by an in-home video security system, prompting them to call 9-1-1.  The fire self-extinguished prior to the arrival of the fire department.  Two adults and their children were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Image courtesy of the Office of the State Fire Marshal