Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) will begin to accept applications for early entrance to kindergarten on Monday, April 16. The school system has procedures and guidelines for early entrance into the kindergarten program. Parents must submit an application by June 15 for their child to be tested for early kindergarten admission.
Early admission for the 2018-19 school year is open only to children whose fifth birthday falls between Sept. 2 and Oct. 15, 2018, and who reside with a parent or guardian in Charles County. State law requires students entering kindergarten to be 5 years old by Sept. 1 in the school year in which the child registers. In some cases, early admission is granted to children who turn 5 years old between Sept. 2 and Oct. 15; however, there are a number of considerations and rigorous admission standards.
Applications are available at all county elementary schools and should be submitted to the school in which the child would attend. Parents can use the School Locator feature on the CCPS website at www.ccboe.com to determine what school their child would attend. Applications are forwarded to the CCPS early childhood office for review. The application is also posted at http://www.ccboe.com/ss/wp-content/uploads/EE-Kindergarten-Application.pdf.
To be considered for early admission, children must demonstrate exceptional ability in social, emotional, cognitive and physical development. Potential early admission students are tested by certified CCPS staff, which uses a standardized test that takes approximately 60 minutes and includes mathematics, reading/language and general knowledge for kindergarten. Parents will be contacted within two weeks of submitting a completed application to set up a testing appointment.
Parents will be notified by mail of their child’s eligibility within three weeks of the testing date. In addition to testing, the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) and CCPS have set for early entrance into a kindergarten program.
- Children must be 5 years old by Oct. 15.
- Student placement in the program is based on exceptional ability in social, emotional, cognitive and physical development.
- Children who are admitted early into kindergarten are provisionally placed and observed for a 30-calendar-day period at the beginning of the school year.
- Acceptance for early admission and registration does not guarantee continuation in kindergarten beyond the 30-calendar-day placement review.
All children entering CCPS must also have the following information:
- A physical examination by a physician or a certified practitioner (physicals must be completed between nine months prior to and six months after entering school);
- Proof of required immunizations against communicable diseases (the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene 896 form showing the required immunizations is available at any school);
- The child’s birth certificate or other acceptable proof of birth (passport/visa; physician’s certificate; baptismal or church certification; hospital certificate; or birth registration). If the child was born in Maryland, a copy of his/her birth certificate can be purchased from the Charles County Department of Health, 301-609-6900; and
- Two proofs of domicile (residency): deed, mortgage statement/bill or settlement papers (with appropriate signatures), current signed verifiable lease or rental agreement (with signatures of both parties), current utility bill (complete with name and address), completed Verification of Domicile form accompanied by two acceptable proofs of domicile for the owner/lessee of the property, property tax bill for domicile (not assessment), current pay check with name and address, property title record, current court document (with name, date, and home address), and current government issued documents that include name, date and home address such as documentation of benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- Call the department of student services at 301-934-7326 with questions about proofs of domicile.
Early kindergarten admission does not guarantee that a child will be promoted to the next grade. Decisions regarding the promotion of early admission kindergartners to first grade will be based on performance during the kindergarten year.
Students who do not qualify for early entrance into kindergarten are not automatically placed into the prekindergarten program. Parents must submit a separate application for prekindergarten admission, and acceptance is based on state and CCPS guidelines.
For more information on early kindergarten entrance requirements and the application process, visit the CCPS website at http://www.ccboe.com/ss/how-to-register/. Call the early childhood office at 301-934-7380 with questions.
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,900 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 36 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Patricia Vaira, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial M. Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.