ST. MARY’S (MD.)-9
Dover, Del. – Redshirt junior RHP Dan McCann (North Laurel, Md./Atholton) struck out five and infielders Jay Hammett (Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) and Connor Coursey (Silver Spring, Md./Good Counsel) combined for six hits as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team earned their first Capital Athletic Conference win of 2018. The Seahawks (7-5, 1-2 CAC) posted a 9-4 road win over Wesley College (6-7, 0-1 CAC) on Monday afternoon.
- Hits: St. Mary’s 14, Wesley 13
- Errors: St. Mary’s 2, Wesley 3
- Left on Base: St. Mary’s 11, Wesley 12
St. Mary’s Offensive Leaders
- Connor Coursey: 3-for-4, 4 RBI, 1 sacrifice hit
- Jay Hammett: 3-for-5, 1 double
- Joey Bryner: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 1 walk
- Matt Ansaldi: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 1 walk, 1 double
- Sam James: 2-for-5, 1 RBI, 3 runs scored
Wesley Offensive Leaders
- Michael Piccirillo: 3-for-5, 1 RBI
- Jarrett Wallace: 2-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 stolen base
- Jordan Marucci: 2-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 1 double
- Chris Seibert: 2-for-5, 1 RBI, 1 double
- William Foster: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 double
St. Mary’s Pitching
- Dan McCann: 9.0 IP, 13 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts (W, 1-0)
- Sam Meck: 5.0 IP, 12 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts (L, 1-2)
- Ryan Devine: 3.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 earned runs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
- Cody Simet: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 1 walk, 0 strikeouts
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s all of its scoring in the first four innings of the game, including a four-run fourth inning to put the game away.
- The Seahawks went up 1-0 in the top of the first as first-year infielder Andy Collins (Arlington, Va./Washington-Lee) walked, advanced to third on a Hammett single and then scored on a fielder’s choice for junior outfielder Dakota Merritt (Lexington Park, Md./Great Mills). Wesley evened up the game in its half of the first thanks to a two-out RBI double by Chris Seibert.
- St. Mary’s added two runs in the second as Coursey knocked in junior infielder Matt Ansaldi (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) with a single to leftfield after Ansaldi hit a leadoff double. First-year Sam James (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) made it a 3-1 lead as crossed home plate following a Wolverine error. Wesley closed the gap to 3-2 in the second as Jordan Marucci’s single brought home William Foster, who led off the inning with a single to centerfield.
- The Seahawks established a three-run cushion in the third as Coursey connected on a two-out, two-run single to left field to score James and first-year designated hitter Joey Bryner (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken).
- St. Mary’s increased its separation to a seven-run margin by tacking on four runs with two outs in the fourth. Two runs scored on an error while James brought home Ansaldi with a double to left field and then James crossed home plate on a Courseysingle up the middle. The Wolverines got one back in their half of the fourth as Marucci led off with a double and then came home on Jarrett Wallace’s single.
- McCann scattered just three more hits in the final five innings as he retired the Wesley side in order in the fifth and eighth innings.
Inside the Box Score
- McCann finished the day with his first career complete game in seven appearances as he threw a career-best nine innings. Improving to 1-0 in two appearances this season, he struck out a career-high five batters against just one walk.
- Coursey notched season-bests of three hits and four RBI while Hammett contributed a career-high four hits for the fourth time in his career.
- Ansaldi chipped in career-bests of two hits and two runs scored while Bryner tacked on a season-high two runs scored.
- In his fourth game of the season, James tallied season-bests of three runs scored and two hits while collecting his first career RBI.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 28 vs. York College of Pennsylvania (7-6, 0-0 CAC) – Hawk’s Nest – CAC game – 3:45 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks