St. Mary’s City, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team dropped their third Capital Athletic Conference game of the season Wednesday afternoon. St. Mary’s (7-6, 1-3 CAC) suffered a 14-4 setback to York College of Pennsylvania (8-6, 1-0 CAC) at the Hawk’s Nest.
- Hits: St. Mary’s 7, York 14
- Errors: St. Mary’s 6, York 0
- Left on Base: St. Mary’s 5, York 9
St. Mary’s Offensive Leader
- Joey Bryner: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 1 walk
York Offensive Leaders
- Garrett Southern: 4-for-4, 4 runs scored, 1 walk, 1 double, 1 stolen base
- Zach Hossler: 3-for-6, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, 1 stolen base
- Christian Bilan: 3-for-6, 3 RBI
- Seth Brosius: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, 1 hit by pitch
St. Mary’s Pitching
- Jackson Edelman: 5.0 IP, 6 hits, 3 earned runs, 4 walks, 3 strikeouts (L, 3-3)
- Will Spanoghe: 2.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
- Tim Hand: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
- Matt Henigan: 1.0 IP, 4 hits, 3 earned runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout
- Will Grega: 7.0 IP, 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts (W, 2-2)
- Tim Halasnik: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
- Zac Stoll: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s put up the first run as the Seahawks scored on in the bottom of the second. As the second hitter of the inning, first-year designated hitter Joey Bryner (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken) hit a single through the left side followed by junior infielder Matt Ansaldi‘s (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) single through the opposite side to advance Bryner to third. Brynerthen came home on a two-out single through the right side by first-year outfielder Sam James (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle).
- York then unleashed 11 unanswered runs between the fifth and seven innings.
- The Seahawks got one back in the seventh as redshirt sophomore infielder Jay Hammett (Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) cracked a leadoff double then went to third on Bryner’s one-out single before crossing home plate on an Ansaldi sacrifice fly.
- Following a scoreless eighth for the Spartans, St. Mary’s picked up two more in the bottom of the eighth behind senior infielder Bennett Garner‘s (Bowie, Md./Bowie) two-out RBI single and a bases loaded wild pitch.
- York tacked on three more in the ninth for the 14-4 final and the Spartans’ first conference win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Edelman silenced the Spartan bats through the first four innings of the game, scattering just three hits. However, York didn’t stay quiet and Edelman slipped to 3-3 on the season. He threw 5.0 innings with four walks and three strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 30 at Gallaudet University (3-15-1) – Washington, D.C. – 3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks