St. Mary’s City, Md. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team picked up their third straight loss Wednesday afternoon as the Seahawks were led by juniorRay LaPlaca(Owings, Md./Calverton), who tallied game-highs of three goals and four points for his third straight hat trick. St. Mary’s (3-7) dropped a 10-5 decision to Eastern University (3-5) to wrap up its non-conference schedule.
How It Happened
- Eastern struck first at 13:16 asSean Fechternotched an unassisted goal before sophomore midfielderErich Wuesthoff(Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park) evened up the score less than two minutes later off an assist from junior attackmanMax Groen(New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall).
- The Eagles then took over as the visitors rattled off seven unanswered goals to own an 8-1 lead with 6:21 remaining in the third quarter. EU had headed into halftime with a 5-1 advantage.
- The two teams traded the next four goals in the final six minutes as Eastern staked a 10-3 margin at the start of the fourth.LaPlacaand first-year attackmanBen Claffee(Forest Hill, Md./Fallston) each scored for the Seahawks in the third.
- Only two goals were scored in the final 15 minutes and both game off ofLaPlaca’sstick.Claffeeassisted on the second asLaPlacapicked up his fifth man-up goal of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- LaPlacaadded two ground balls while senior captainConner Campbell(Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) paced the defense with three caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- First-yearsLuke McWright(Baldwin, Md./Loyola Blakefield) andDominic Venanzi(Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) each scooped up three ground balls.
- Junior goalieRoss Snodderly(Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) made nine saves and registered his first career caused turnover.
- Fechterposted three goals and an assist whileMark Buannicchipped in two goal and two assists.Zach Bauerwon 15-of-19 face-offs and notched a game-best six ground balls. In goal,Jameal Hadeedmade five stops with a ground ball in 45 minutes.
- Shots:St. Mary’s 30, Eastern 30
- Ground Balls:St. Mary’s 19, Eastern 26
- Face-Off Wins:St. Mary’s 4, Eastern 15
- Extra-Man Opportunities:St. Mary’s 2-2, Eastern 0-2
- Saves:St. Mary’s 9, Eastern 6
- Caused Turnovers:St. Mary’s 8, Eastern 4
- Turnovers:St. Mary’s 15, Eastern 17
- Penalties:St. Mary’s 2 for 1:30, Eastern 2 for 1:30
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 31 vs. No. 15 Christopher Newport University (9-1, 2-0 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – 1:00 p.m.