Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
St. Mary’s City, Md. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team picked up their third straight loss Wednesday afternoon as the Seahawks were led by juniorRay LaPlaca(Owings, Md./Calverton), who tallied game-highs of three goals and four points for his third straight hat trick. St. Mary’s (3-7) dropped a 10-5 decision to Eastern University (3-5) to wrap up its non-conference schedule.
How It Happened
- Eastern struck first at 13:16 asSean Fechternotched an unassisted goal before sophomore midfielderErich Wuesthoff(Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park) evened up the score less than two minutes later off an assist from junior attackmanMax Groen(New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall).
- The Eagles then took over as the visitors rattled off seven unanswered goals to own an 8-1 lead with 6:21 remaining in the third quarter. EU had headed into halftime with a 5-1 advantage.
- The two teams traded the next four goals in the final six minutes as Eastern staked a 10-3 margin at the start of the fourth.LaPlacaand first-year attackmanBen Claffee(Forest Hill, Md./Fallston) each scored for the Seahawks in the third.
- Only two goals were scored in the final 15 minutes and both game off ofLaPlaca’sstick.Claffeeassisted on the second asLaPlacapicked up his fifth man-up goal of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- LaPlacaadded two ground balls while senior captainConner Campbell(Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) paced the defense with three caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- First-yearsLuke McWright(Baldwin, Md./Loyola Blakefield) andDominic Venanzi(Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) each scooped up three ground balls.
- Junior goalieRoss Snodderly(Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) made nine saves and registered his first career caused turnover.
- Fechterposted three goals and an assist whileMark Buannicchipped in two goal and two assists.Zach Bauerwon 15-of-19 face-offs and notched a game-best six ground balls. In goal,Jameal Hadeedmade five stops with a ground ball in 45 minutes.
- Shots:St. Mary’s 30, Eastern 30
- Ground Balls:St. Mary’s 19, Eastern 26
- Face-Off Wins:St. Mary’s 4, Eastern 15
- Extra-Man Opportunities:St. Mary’s 2-2, Eastern 0-2
- Saves:St. Mary’s 9, Eastern 6
- Caused Turnovers:St. Mary’s 8, Eastern 4
- Turnovers:St. Mary’s 15, Eastern 17
- Penalties:St. Mary’s 2 for 1:30, Eastern 2 for 1:30
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 31 vs. No. 15 Christopher Newport University (9-1, 2-0 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – 1:00 p.m.