|ST. MARY’S (MD.)(8-6)||0||0||0||4||0||0||2||0||2||8||14||1|
Washington, D.C.– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team rallied with two runs in the ninth to post an 8-7 non-conference road win over the host Gallaudet University Bison on Friday afternoon. St. Mary’s (8-6) capitalized on two hits and two Bison (3-16-1) errors in the ninth while sophomoresNoah Meyers(Kensington, Md./Walter Johnson) andJay Hammett(Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) combined for two scoreless innings to secure the victory.
- Hits:St. Mary’s 14, Gallaudet 5
- Errors:St. Mary’s 1, Gallaudet 4
- Left on Base:St. Mary’s 12, Gallaudet 7
St. Mary’s Offensive Leader
- Matt Ansaldi:3-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 stolen base
- Dakota Merritt:2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 hit by pitch, 1 stolen base
- Lucas Kraft:2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, 1 walk
- Dan McCann:2-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 stolen base
- Jay Hammett:2-for-5
Gallaudet Offensive Leaders
- Cameron Upton:2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 1 double, 2 stolen bases
St. Mary’s Pitching
- Griffin Honse:4.0 IP, 2 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
- Tim Hand:1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 earned runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
- Matt Henigan:2.0 IP, 0 hits, 2 earned runs, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
- Noah Meyers:1.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 earned runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout (W, 1-0)
- Jay Hammett:1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts (S, 1)
- Frank Diaz:5.0 IP, 9 hits, 2 earned runs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
- Quintan Polito:1.1 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
- Ethan Denson:1.2 IP, 2 hits, 0 earned runs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout (L, 1-6)
- Dylan Hayes:1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 earned runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout
How It Happened
- The Bison broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the third inning asDarren Drolsbaughlead off the inning with a hit by pitch before stealing second and then scored on a ground out to the shortstop.
- St. Mary’s responded by unleashing four runs in the top of the fourth behind a one-out RBI single by first-year infielderConnor Coursey(Silver Spring, Md./Good Counsel) as well as a three-run error by the Gallaudet right fielder for a 4-1 lead.
- GU picked up two runs each in the fourth and fifth innings to regain a one-run lead after five innings of action.
- The lead changed once again in the seventh when the Seahawks went up 6-5 following juniorsDakota Merritt(Lexington Park, Md./Great Mills) andMatt Ansaldi(Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) crossing home plate on wild pitches.
- Gallaudet pulled ahead 7-6 in its half of the seventh asCameron UptonandKenneth Gentzkecame home on a ground out to second base.
- Following a scoreless eighth inning for both sides, the Seahawks tacked on two more runs when sophomore pinch runnerHugh Clark(Lusby, Md./Patuxent) stole second then scored on an error and redshirt junior infielderDan McCann(North Laurel, Md./Atholton) picked up an unearned run behind junior outfielderLucas Kraft‘s(Boyds, Md./Clarksburg) single up the middle.
- The ninth was three up, three down for the Bison asHammettearned his first career save with two ground outs and a fly out.
Inside the Box Score
- Ansaldifinished with career-highs of three hits and two runs scored.
- In his second appearance of the season,Meyersnotched his first career win, scattering two hits and striking out one Bison batter in the eighth.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 31 at Marymount (Va.) University (9-10, 2-2 CAC) – Arlington, Va. – Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader – 12:00 p.m.
By Nairem Moran ·firstname.lastname@example.org