Arlington, Va. – Senior captain Megan Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Notre Dame Prep) collected her fourth career game-winning goal almost a minute into overtime to propel the St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse team to a 13-12 extra time win over Marymount (Va.) University on Wednesday afternoon. The win gives St. Mary’s (5-6, 1-2 CAC) its first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season, capping a four-game road trip and snapping a three-game skid while Marymount (8-4, 2-1 CAC) earns its first CAC loss.
- Shots: St. Mary’s 26, Marymount 21
- Ground Balls: St. Mary’s 15, Marymount 14
- Draw Controls: St. Mary’s 11, Marymount 16
- Free-Position Shots: St. Mary’s 3-6, Marymount 6-10
- Saves: St. Mary’s 5, Marymount 8
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary’s 12, Marymount 6
- Turnovers: St. Mary’s 15, Marymount 21
How It Happened
- Marymount turned around a 10-9 deficit with 20:07 remaining in the game into a 12-10 advantage at the 13:02 mark with three straight free-position goals, including two in just over a minute from Jessica Crew.
- Even though the Saints won the ensuing draw control, junior goalie Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) saved a free position shot to return possession to St. Mary’s and sophomore midfielder Kate Bartholomew (Galena, Md./Kent County) made the most of it with her 18th tally of the season at 9:17.
- Sophomore midfielder Jodi Credit (Hunt Valley, Md./Roland Park CS) then notched the game-tying goal at 6:54 after first-year defender Francesca Ziccardi (Baltimore, Md./Notre Dame Prep) caused a Marymount turnover for another Seahawk possession.
- Following a five-minute break at the end of regulation, Bartholomew won the draw control to start overtime and Cannonfound the back of the net just 53 seconds into the extra frame.
- The Saints had drawn first blood to start the game but St. Mary’s answered back with four straight for a 4-1 lead at 17:34. MU responded with a 3-0 run to even up the score at 8:42. The two sides each traded a goal before the Seahawks closed out the half on a three-goal push to lead 8-5 at halftime.
- Marymount used a 4-1 run at the start of the second to tie up the game at 9-9 with 20:53 left in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) finished with three goals on the afternoon and is now four points from her 100th career point. L. Brown also added a career-best four caused turnovers and scooped up three ground balls while fellow classmate Gabby Beese (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) chipped in three assists, a ground ball and a draw control.
- Credit picked up a career-high four ground balls and added a goal, an assist, and a draw control while junior midfielder Caitlin Katchmar (Phoenix, Md./Hereford) contributed four draws, two goals and two loose ball pickups.
- In goal, E. Brown turned away five Saint shots for her fifth win in-between the pipes.
- Crew led all goal scorers with four goals while Bridgette Stacom came up with game-highs of eight draw controls and two caused turnovers to pace Marymount. Holly Reik tallied eight saves, notched two loose balls, and caused a pair of Seahawk miscues.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 6 vs. Southern Virginia University (5-6, 0-3 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC game – SAAC Hot Dog Giveaway – 3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org