St. Mary’s City, Md. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team wrapped up a three-game home-stand with a whole team effort on a windy Wednesday afternoon. St. Mary’s (4-8, 1-2 CAC) picked up its first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season by handing Marymount (Va.) University (2-10, 0-3 CAC) an 11-3 setback in Seahawk Stadium as junior midfielderMarshall Rhodes(Potomac, Md./Winston Churchill) tallied career-highs of three goals and four points.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s opened up the scoring with three straight goals as three different Seahawks found the back of the net for a 3-0 lead 7:20 of the first frame.Jonah Mackiewiczslowed down the hosts’ momentum at 2:01 but seniorsConnor Quinn(Lusby, Md./Calverton) andConner Campbell(Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) scored within nine seconds of each other in the final 25 seconds for a 5-1 margin at the end of one.
- The Seahawks tacked on two more in the second period for a 7-1 halftime lead as juniorRay LaPlaca(Owings, Md./Calverton) notched his second man-down goal of the season at 12:34 and sophomore midfielderErich Wuesthoff(Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park) picked up his 14th tally of the season in the final second of the half.
- First-year midfielderJeremiah Clemmer(Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown) andRhodeseach scored twice over the final two quarters for the 11-3 final.
- AfterMackiewiczput Marymount on the scoreboard at 2:01 of the first stanza, the Seahawk defense shut down the Saints for nearly 34 minutes, including killing a three-minute non-releasable penalty in third, beforeSean Friedmanbroke through with a man-down goal at 13:18 of the fourth.
Inside the Box Score
- Campbellfinished with a career-best two points (1 goal, 1 assist) plus seven ground balls and a game-high five caused turnovers while attackmenConnor Benhoff(Baltimore, Md./Dulaney) andBen Claffee(Forest Hill, Md./Fallston) each dished a career-best two assists.
- Junior goalieRoss Snodderly(Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) finished with 11 saves, a ground ball, and a caused turnover in 58:05.
- Mackiewiczhelped the Saints with a goal and an assist whileChristian Lutzwon 10-of-16 face-offs and scooped a game-best nine ground balls. In goal,Grey Clarksonmade 11 stops in 46:18.
- Shots:St. Mary’s 35, Marymount 22
- Ground Balls:St. Mary’s 31, Marymount 20
- Face-Off Wins:St. Mary’s 6, Marymount 11
- Extra-Man Opportunities:St. Mary’s 0-2, Marymount 0-2
- Saves:St. Mary’s 11, Marymount 14
- Caused Turnovers:St. Mary’s 10, Marymount 3
- Turnovers:St. Mary’s 12, Marymount 19
- Penalties:St. Mary’s 2 for 4:00, Marymount 2 for 1:30
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 7 at Southern Virginia University (7-5, 1-2) – Buena Vista, Va. – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
By Nairem Moran ·firstname.lastname@example.org