St. Mary’s City, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team returned to the win column Thursday afternoon, connecting on a season second-best 19 hits as the Seahawks (9-8, 2-5 CAC) posted a 15-6 Capital Athletic Conference victory over the University of Mary Washington (15-9-1, 4-3 CAC). First-year infielder Andy Collins (Arlington, Va./Washington-Lee) went 4-for-5 with four runs scored, an RBI, and a stolen base.
- Hits: St. Mary’s 19, Mary Washington 10
- Errors: St. Mary’s 5, Mary Washington 3
- Left on Base: St. Mary’s 6, Mary Washington 8
St. Mary’s Offensive Leaders
- Andy Collins: 4-for-5, 4 runs scored, 1 RBI, 1 stolen base
- Sam James: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI
- Lucas Kraft: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
- Jay Hammett: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 1 double, 1 stolen base
- Joey Bryner: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 RBI
- Sean Goodie: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, 1 double
- Matt Ansaldi: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 triple
Mary Washington Offensive Leaders
- Christian Hague: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 5 RBI, 1 triple, 1 home run, 1 sac fly
- Mark Smith: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 home run
- Garrett Lyons: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 stolen base
- Ramsis Ruiz: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored
St. Mary’s Pitching
- Jackson Edelman: 8.0 IP, 10 hits, 5 earned runs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts (W, 4-3)
- Tim Hand: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
Mary Washington Pitching
- Mason Riser: 3.0 IP, 13 hits, 10 earned runs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts (L, 0-2)
- Alex Shapiro: 3.2 IP, 6 hits, 4 earned runs, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts
- Bryant White: 1.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
How It Happened
- After Mary Washington claimed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, the Seahawks plated two in their half of the first to go ahead for good. Collins singled through the left side, advanced to second on a walk to redshirt sophomore infielder Jay Hammett(Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon), and scored as senior catcher Sean Goodie (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) reached on a fielder’s choice that turned into a two-base error. Goodie then crossed home plate on a single by first-year DH Joey Bryner(Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken).
- St. Mary’s followed the first with a three-run second behind a pair of RBI singles from Collins and Hammett while Collinsstole home. After UMW cut the deficit to 5-3, the Seahawks answered with a six-run third, keyed by a three RBI, two-out double from Hammett.
- Junior outfielder Lucas Kraft (Boyds, Md./Clarksburg) provided an RBI single in the fourth for a 12-4 St. Mary’s advantage. Mary Washington followed with two runs in the fifth to push the score to 12-6.
- First-year outfielder Sam James‘ (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) one-out RBI single up the middle sparked a three-run rally in seventh.
Inside the Box Score
- Collins notched season-bests of four hits and four runs scored to pace the Seahawks offensively while Hammett drove in a career-high four runs for the third time in his two-year career.
- James tallied season-highs of three hits, three runs scored, and two RBI while junior infielder Matt Ansaldi (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) plated a career-best two runs for the fourth time in his career.
- First-year LHP Jackson Edelman (Cherry Hill, N.J./Cherry Hill East) improved to 4-3 on the season, pitching 8.0 innings and allowing five earned runs on 10 hits with two strikeouts and one walk.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 6 vs. Salisbury University (16-7, 5-2 CAC) – Hawk’s Nest – CAC doubleheader – 12:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks