Frostburg, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s tennis team snapped a two-match slide on Saturday. St. Mary’s (5-7, 2-3 CAC) defeated the Bobcats of Frostburg State University (2-9, 0-5 CAC), 9-0, for a key Capital Athletic Conference win. This is the Seahawks’ third shutout win of the season.
St. Mary’s 9, Frostburg State 0
How It Happened
- Sophomores Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ethan Garren(Arnold, Md./Broadneck) started the match off by defeating Shasta Braithwaite and Geoffrey Goldring, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles.
- Senior captains Kyle Van Winter (Scaggsville, Md./Good Counsel) and Connor McKissick (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) finished up their road trip with an 8-2 win over Nate Farlow and Chad O’Neal at No. 2 doubles.
- Junior Jacob Bartholow (Walkersville, Md./Walkersville) and sophomore Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) also contributed a win by defeating Joey Cox and Jeremy Thompson, 8-4.
- Gorel, Garren, Stith, McKissick, Van Winter, and Bartholow won their singles matches to help sweep the Bobcats. In total, St. Mary’s would only drop 10 games over the six singles matches.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 14 at No. 14 University of Mary Washington (15-3, 6-0 CAC) – Fredericksburg, Va. – CAC match – 3:30 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org