Leonardtown, MD – The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County have established the St. Mary’s County Youth Advisory Commission (YAC). The purpose of the YAC is to ensure St. Mary’s County youth are given the opportunity to provide feedback and recommendations regarding public policies and programs affecting their future and to take on a leadership role in creating meaningful change. Members are now being sought to serve on the commission.
Commission members will be expected to
- Be active and passionate representatives of St. Mary’s County youth. Members must attend at least 50% of
regularly scheduled meetings. Any member who fails to attend the required number of meetings may be
removed from the commission;
- Identify and discuss issues facing youth in Maryland and St. Mary’s County;
- Work with other commission members to create strategies which addresses these issues;
- Serve as liaisons to other affiliated youth organizations and peers in his/her community;
- Develop leadership skills;
- Meet other County youth; and
- Have fun!
How to Apply
Individuals interested in being a voice for youth in Maryland can go to https://www.stmarysmd.com/voluntr/ to fill out an application. Commission members must be 16 – 22 years of age on July 1, serve a two year term and may not serve more than two terms. Submitted applications must include a letter of recommendation and a resume.
Commission members will be appointed by the Commissioners for St. Mary’s County with one representative for each of the five commissioner districts, eight at large members and four adult ex officio members. Selections will be made to ensure a diverse representation of St. Mary’s County youth.
For more information contact Diane Gleissner at 301-475-4200, ext. *1700.