Frostburg, Md. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team wrapped up their three-game road trip Saturday afternoon with their third straight loss. St. Mary’s (4-11, 1-5 CAC) dropped a 12-6 decision to the host Frostburg State University Bobcats (9-6, 4-2 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference play.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s struck first as juniorRay LaPlaca(Owings, Md./Calverton) notched an unassisted tally at 11:44. However, the Bobcats would score four unanswered goals to stake a 4-1 at 12:10 of the second quarter.
- Goals by junior attackerConnor Benhoff(Baltimore, Md./Dulaney) andLaPlacabookended a 3-0 FSU run in the second to send Frostburg into halftime with a 7-3 advantage.
- It was all Bobcats in the third period as the hosts outscored the Seahawks, 4-0, to go up 11-3 with 15 minutes left to play.
- After Frostburg’sJason Clintonnetted the first goal of the fourth, St. Mary’s closed out the game with three straight asattackersMax Groen(New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) andJack Conway(Salisbury, Md./Salisbury School) each found the back of the net withGroenscoring twice.
Inside the Box Score
- LaPlacaandGroeneachfinished with a team-best two goals while first-year midfielderLuke McWright(Baldwin, Md./Loyola Blakefield) dished out a season-best two assists.
- Junior midfielderMichael Bucci(Davidsonville, Md./Severn School) recorded double-digit face-off wins for the third time this season asBucciwent 10-of-22 with three ground balls.
- Junior goalieRoss Snodderly(Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) turned away 10 FSU shots, scooped up a career-best six ground balls, and caused a turnover while yielding 12 goals in 60 minutes.
- Nate Collinsposted four goals and two assists for the Bobcats whileAdam Grosschipped in two goals and three assists.Jack Marksimproved to 8-6 on the season with 10 saves, seven ground balls, and a caused turnover plus four goals against in 54:19 minutes.
- Shots:St. Mary’s 25, Frostburg 34
- Ground Balls:St. Mary’s 31, Frostburg 38
- Face-Off Wins:St. Mary’s 10, Frostburg 12
- Extra-Man Opportunities:St. Mary’s 1-4, Frostburg 0-0
- Saves:St. Mary’s 10, Frostburg 12
- Caused Turnovers:St. Mary’s 9, Frostburg 10
- Turnovers:St. Mary’s 17, Frostburg 17
- Penalties:St. Mary’s 0 for 0:00, Frostburg 5 for 4:00
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 18 vs. Wesley College (3-10, 1-5 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC game – Senior Day and Alumni Day – SAAC Hot Dog Giveaway – 4:00 p.m.
By Nairem Moran ·email@example.com