Frostburg, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team wrapped up their three-game road trip Saturday afternoon with their third straight loss. St. Mary’s (4-11, 1-5 CAC) dropped a 12-6 decision to the host Frostburg State University Bobcats (9-6, 4-2 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference play.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s struck first as junior Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) notched an unassisted tally at 11:44. However, the Bobcats would score four unanswered goals to stake a 4-1 at 12:10 of the second quarter.
- Goals by junior attacker Connor Benhoff (Baltimore, Md./Dulaney) and LaPlaca bookended a 3-0 FSU run in the second to send Frostburg into halftime with a 7-3 advantage.
- It was all Bobcats in the third period as the hosts outscored the Seahawks, 4-0, to go up 11-3 with 15 minutes left to play.
- After Frostburg’s Jason Clinton netted the first goal of the fourth, St. Mary’s closed out the game with three straight as attackers Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) and Jack Conway(Salisbury, Md./Salisbury School) each found the back of the net with Groen scoring twice.
Inside the Box Score
- LaPlaca and Groen each finished with a team-best two goals while first-year midfielder Luke McWright (Baldwin, Md./Loyola Blakefield) dished out a season-best two assists.
- Junior midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn School) recorded double-digit face-off wins for the third time this season as Bucci went 10-of-22 with three ground balls.
- Junior goalie Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) turned away 10 FSU shots, scooped up a career-best six ground balls, and caused a turnover while yielding 12 goals in 60 minutes.
- Nate Collins posted four goals and two assists for the Bobcats while Adam Gross chipped in two goals and three assists. Jack Marks improved to 8-6 on the season with 10 saves, seven ground balls, and a caused turnover plus four goals against in 54:19 minutes.
- Shots: St. Mary’s 25, Frostburg 34
- Ground Balls: St. Mary’s 31, Frostburg 38
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary’s 10, Frostburg 12
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary’s 1-4, Frostburg 0-0
- Saves: St. Mary’s 10, Frostburg 12
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary’s 9, Frostburg 10
- Turnovers: St. Mary’s 17, Frostburg 17
- Penalties: St. Mary’s 0 for 0:00, Frostburg 5 for 4:00
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 18 vs. Wesley College (3-10, 1-5 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC game – Senior Day and Alumni Day – SAAC Hot Dog Giveaway – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org