Fredericksburg, Va. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s tennis team claimed 11 games between singles and doubles action from nationally-ranked University of Mary Washington Saturday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The No. 12 Eagles (17-3, 7-0 CAC), however, notched a 9-0 win over St. Mary’s (5-8, 2-4 CAC) to finish conference play with a perfect record.
St. Mary’s 0, Mary Washington 9
How It Happened
- SophomoresJon Gorel(Jessup, Md./Hammond) andEthan Garren(Arnold, Md./Broadneck) took three games from UMW’s regionally-ranked top duo,Ryland ByrdandMichael Fleming, before falling 8-3. The UMW duo is ranked fourth in the Atlantic South region.
- Gorelclaimed five games in a 6-1, 6-4 loss toMatt Miles, who is regionally-ranked ninth, at No. 1 singles.
- GarrenfacedPatrick Hughes, who is ranked 15th in the region, at No. 2 singles, dropping a 6-1, 6-2 decision.
- Senior captainKyle Van Winter(Scaggsville, Md./Good Counsel) was the only other Seahawk to win a game today asVan Winterlost 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 singles toDerek Hagino.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 15 vs. No. 36 Christopher Newport University (10-8, 4-1 CAC) – Fredericksburg, Va. – CAC match – 10:00 a.m.
By Justin Gordon ·firstname.lastname@example.org