Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
Fredericksburg, Va. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s tennis team claimed 11 games between singles and doubles action from nationally-ranked University of Mary Washington Saturday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The No. 12 Eagles (17-3, 7-0 CAC), however, notched a 9-0 win over St. Mary’s (5-8, 2-4 CAC) to finish conference play with a perfect record.
St. Mary’s 0, Mary Washington 9
How It Happened
- SophomoresJon Gorel(Jessup, Md./Hammond) andEthan Garren(Arnold, Md./Broadneck) took three games from UMW’s regionally-ranked top duo,Ryland ByrdandMichael Fleming, before falling 8-3. The UMW duo is ranked fourth in the Atlantic South region.
- Gorelclaimed five games in a 6-1, 6-4 loss toMatt Miles, who is regionally-ranked ninth, at No. 1 singles.
- GarrenfacedPatrick Hughes, who is ranked 15th in the region, at No. 2 singles, dropping a 6-1, 6-2 decision.
- Senior captainKyle Van Winter(Scaggsville, Md./Good Counsel) was the only other Seahawk to win a game today asVan Winterlost 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 singles toDerek Hagino.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 15 vs. No. 36 Christopher Newport University (10-8, 4-1 CAC) – Fredericksburg, Va. – CAC match – 10:00 a.m.
By Justin Gordon ·email@example.com