Fredericksburg, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team struggled offensively Wednesday afternoon, managing only three runs on 10 hits in Capital Athletic Conference action. The Seahawks (9-15, 2-12 CAC) dropped a 20-3 decision to the University of Mary Washington (17-15-1, 6-8 CAC) as the two sides split the season series with each team winning on their home field.
How It Happened
- First-year outfielder Sam James (Charlottesville, Va./Western Albemarle) connected on a leadoff triple and then came home on a sacrifice hit by redshirt sophomore infielder Jay Hammett (Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) to give St. Mary’s a 1-0 lead after one inning of action.
- The Seahawks then went up 2-0 in the third as Hammett cracked a two-out solo shot for his second home run of the season.
- Mary Washington responded with eight runs in the bottom of the third, highlighted by a three-run homer by Mark Smith and two RBI doubles. The Eagles continued to build their lead, adding three runs in the fourth and two in the sixth for a 13-2 margin at the end of six innings.
- St. Mary’s got one back in the seventh as James scored on an error but UMW upped the ante with seven more runs in the eighth.
- Hits: St. Mary’s 10, Mary Washington 22
- Errors: St. Mary’s 2, Mary Washington 2
- Left on Base: St. Mary’s 14, Mary Washington 12
St. Mary’s Offensive Leaders
Mary Washington Offensive Leaders
- Nicholas Bass: 3-for-4, 3 runs scored, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 hit by pitch, 1 stolen bass
- Stephen Johnston: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 1 walk
- Ramsis Ruiz: 3-for-6, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, 1 sacrifice hit, 2 stolen bases
- David Slupek: 3-for-6, 2 runs scored, 5 RBI, 1 home run
St. Mary’s Pitching
- Griffin Honse: 2.2 IP, 9 hits, 8 earned runs, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts (L, 0-1)
- Jackson Edelman: 2.1 IP, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
- Will Spanoghe: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks, 0 strikeouts
- Tim Hand: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 earned run, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
- Noah Meyers: 0.0 IP, 3 hits, 4 earned runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
- Matt Henigan: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts
Mary Washington Pitching
- Robert Cross: 7.0 IP, 8 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts (W, 4-1)
- Jonathan Truba: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 earned runs, 2 walks, 0 strikeouts
- Alex Shapiro: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 earned runs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Inside the Box Score
- James collected his first career triple while Hammett recorded his fifth career home run.
- First-year RHP Griffin Honse (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) picked up his first loss of the season as Honse (0-1) gave up eight earned runs in 2.2 innings pitched with three walks and two strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 21 at Southern Virginia University (15-14, 6-7 CAC) – Buena Vista, Va. – CAC doubleheader – 12:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org