St. Mary’s City, Md. – Junior attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) scored four times in leading the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team to a 12-5 win over Wesley College (3-11, 1-6 CAC) Wednesday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The fifth win of the season gave the Seahawks (5-11, 2-5 CAC) the most wins since a five-win campaign in 2015.
Before the game, the Seahawks honored their seven seniors – long-stick midfielder Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga), attackman Danny Chu (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake), midfielders Dave Fritz (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall), Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken), Connor Quinn (Lusby, Md./Calverton), and Michael Raimond(Manchester, Md./Manchester Valley), and defenseman Michael Russell(Silver Spring, Md./Springbrook) – for their years of dedication and leadership to the program.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s jumped out to a 5-0 lead at 12:23 of the second quarter as junior Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton) assisted on three goals and Groen found the back of the net twice.
- Josh Wassum finally put Wesley on the scoreboard with an unassisted tally at 10:49 in the second.
- The Seahawks then rattled off seven straight to stake a 12-1 advantage at 9:20 of the third period. LaPlaca had put St. Mary’s up 9-1 at halftime with his team-leading 23rd goal of the season in the final eight seconds of the half.
- The Wolverines would score the game’s final four goals for the 12-5 final as Wassum finished with a goal and two helpers in the 4-0 run.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn School) won a season-best 14 face-offs and equaled his career-high of 10 ground balls. This was the fourth time this season Bucci has recorded double-digit face-off wins.
- Campbell matched his career-high of seven caused turnovers while scooping up three ground balls. LaPlaca finished with a career-best three assists for the second time this season.
- Junior goalie Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) came up with six saves and gave up three goals in 51:30 minutes in net.
- Wassum paced the Wolverines with two goals and two assists. In goal, James Cella (8 SV, 9 GA) and Dylan Sicca (11 SV, 3 GA) split equal time in goal.
- Shots: St. Mary’s 47, Wesley 19
- Ground Balls: St. Mary’s 44, Wesley 14
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary’s 14, Wesley 6
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary’s 3-4, Wesley 2-3
- Saves: St. Mary’s 7, Wesley 19
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary’s 9, Wesley 6
- Turnovers: St. Mary’s 17, Wesley 24
- Penalties: St. Mary’s 3 for 2:00, Wesley 4 for 3:30
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 24 at No. 7 Salisbury University (12-3, 5-1 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – CAC game – 7:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org