Stevenson, Md. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s tennis team wrapped up the 2018 campaign on a high note Thursday afternoon with a non-conference win on the road. St. Mary’s finished the season with an 8-7 overall record following an 8-1 victory over the host Stevenson University Mustangs (7-8).
St. Mary’s 8, Stevenson 1
How It Happened
- Senior captainsMelissa Barall(Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) andChelsea English(Clarksville, Md./River Hill) finished the season with a team-best 7-5 doubles record after teaming up to beatJenna SkoveandKirstyn Davidson, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles.
- First-yearSophie Gary(Germantown, Md./Holton-Arms) and seniorRaziela Manangan(Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) handily downed their opponents, 8-0, at No. 2 doubles to end the year with a 3-0 record.
- SeniorSavannah Bergen(Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and sophomoreClaire Bodine(Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) took onChristina EndyandEmily Herzogand came out with an 8-0 shutout win. The duo put together a 3-1 record at No. 3 doubles for the season.
- First-yearAlden Grosh(Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) came on in relief for singles action and defeatedNina Bretz6-0, 6-3 at No. 5 singles.
- Barallearned a 6-3, 6-1 triumph overSkoveat No. 1 singles to finish her senior campaign with a team-best 12-4 overall record, including an 11-3 dual match record. She ends her career with a 47-19 record.
- Englishcollected a team second-best eight wins this year with her straight-set win at No. 6 singles, dropping only one game toEsha Kashmiri.
- Gary(No. 2) andManangan(No. 4) both also won their singles matches in straight sets.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete
By Justin Gordon ·firstname.lastname@example.org