Stevenson, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s tennis team wrapped up the 2018 campaign on a high note Thursday afternoon with a non-conference win on the road. St. Mary’s finished the season with an 8-7 overall record following an 8-1 victory over the host Stevenson University Mustangs (7-8).
St. Mary’s 8, Stevenson 1
How It Happened
- Senior captains Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) finished the season with a team-best 7-5 doubles record after teaming up to beat Jenna Skoveand Kirstyn Davidson, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles.
- First-year Sophie Gary (Germantown, Md./Holton-Arms) and senior Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) handily downed their opponents, 8-0, at No. 2 doubles to end the year with a 3-0 record.
- Senior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) took on Christina Endy and Emily Herzog and came out with an 8-0 shutout win. The duo put together a 3-1 record at No. 3 doubles for the season.
- First-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) came on in relief for singles action and defeated Nina Bretz 6-0, 6-3 at No. 5 singles.
- Barall earned a 6-3, 6-1 triumph over Skove at No. 1 singles to finish her senior campaign with a team-best 12-4 overall record, including an 11-3 dual match record. She ends her career with a 47-19 record.
- English collected a team second-best eight wins this year with her straight-set win at No. 6 singles, dropping only one game to Esha Kashmiri.
- Gary (No. 2) and Manangan (No. 4) both also won their singles matches in straight sets.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org