Salisbury, Md. – Four different Seahawks found the back of the net as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team wrapped up their 2018 campaign on Tuesday night. The Seahawks (5-12) dropped a 17-4 decision to the host seventh-ranked Salisbury University Sea Gulls (14-3, 7-1 CAC) in their season finale.
How It Happened
- Salisbury staked a 3-0 lead at 3:37 of the first period before junior attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary) put the Seahawks on the board at 2:23 off an assist from classmate Ray LaPlaca (Owings, Md./Calverton). Austin Short gave the Sea Gulls a 4-1 advantage at the end of one with his goal with 19 seconds left.
- Only two goals were scored in the second quarter as Salisbury scored first at 8:49 for a four-goal lead before sophomore midfielder Erich Wuesthoff (Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park) tallied an unassisted score with five ticks on the clock to cut the deficit to 5-2 at halftime.
- SU unleashed for eight goals in the third stanza to break the game open. The Sea Gulls extended their scoring stretch to an 11-0 run with the first three goals of the fourth period.
- First-years Dominic Venanzi (Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) and Jeremiah Clemmer (Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown) put a stop to the Salisbury run with consecutive goals in a 59-second span.
Inside the Box Score
- Groen finished the night as the Seahawks’ leading scorer with a goal and an assist while junior midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) scooped up eight ground balls.
- Junior goalkeeper Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) completed his junior campaign with 11 saves while allowing 17 goals in 60 minutes.
- Corey Gwin notched a game-high four goals while Griffin Moroney finished with a three-goal hat trick. In goal, Brandon Warren made five saves and gave up two goals in 45 minutes.
- Shots: St. Mary’s 15, Salisbury 47
- Ground Balls: St. Mary’s 27, Salisbury 41
- Face-Off Wins: St. Mary’s 9, Salisbury 15
- Extra-Man Opportunities: St. Mary’s 1-2, Salisbury 1-2
- Saves: St. Mary’s 11, Salisbury 5
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary’s 4, Salisbury 14
- Turnovers: St. Mary’s 21, Salisbury 12
- Penalties: St. Mary’s 2 for 2:00, Salisbury 2 for 1:30
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
By Nairem Moran · email@example.com