The Board of Education of Calvert County Public Schools (CCPS) is currently accepting comments from the public regarding the draft of the calendar for the 2019-2020 school year.
Highlights from the 2019-2020 proposed calendar include:
- First day for students in grades 1-12 (9/3/2019);
- Pre-K and kindergarten conferences (9/3/2019 and 9/4/2019);
- Staggered pre-K and kindergarten first day (9/5/2019 and 9/6/2019);
- Schools closed for students on Youth Day at the Fair (9/27/2019);
- Winter and spring recesses similar to the 2018-2019 school calendar;
- Senior graduations (6/3/2020 and 6/4/2020);
- Last day for students (6/11/2020 – based on 180-day calendar for students); and
- Possible make-up days for inclement weather and emergency school closings: 2/18/2020, 4/8/2020, 4/9/2020, and days added to the end of the school year.
The CCPS Calendar Committee is comprised of representatives from the Calvert Education Association, Calvert Association of Educational Support Staff, Calvert Association of Supervisors and Administrators, and the Citizen Advisory Committee, as well as staff from the Departments of Information Technology, Finance, Instruction, and Administration.
When developing the calendar, the committee considered such items as:
- Instructional continuity;
- Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) requirements;
- The Governor’s Executive Order;
- Contractual requirements (employee work year, teacher work time);
- Input from stakeholders;
- Professional development needs;
- Graduation ceremonies; and
- Inclement weather and emergency contingencies.
The Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR), states that the following dates are public school holidays: (i) Thanksgiving Day and the day after; (ii) Christmas Eve and from then through January 1; (iii) Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; (iv) Presidents Day; (v) the Friday before Easter and from then through the Monday after Easter; (vi) Memorial Day; and (vii) Primary and general election days. Unless a waiver has been granted by the State Superintendent due to an emergency, schools must be closed for students on those days.
The calendar will be posted for public comment until July 11, 2018. Comments may be submitted to Karen Maxey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The draft of the 2019-2020 calendar is posted on Board Docs at http://bit.ly/CCPS19_20.
The approved calendar for the 2018-2019 school year is posted on the school system website at http://bit.ly/CCPS18_19.