On July 5th at 1:51 a.m. members of the fire department Fire and Explosives Investigation Unit responded to the Baltimore Washington Medical Center to investigate the circumstances of a patient being treated in the emergency department for burn injuries. Investigators determined that the parents of the 11-year-old female patient had purchased legal sparklers from fireworks stand in the Glen Burnie area on July 4th. Around 11 p.m. on the 4th, another child lit a device, close to the patient.

The contact resulted in 2nd-degree burns to her right wrist and abdomen, approximately 2% total.