Chestertown, Md. – Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) recorded her third double-double of the season Tuesday night as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team collected their fifth consecutive win. The Seahawks (8-4) handed the host Washington College Shorewomen (4-8) their eighth straight loss by way of a 3-1 decision.
- St. Mary’s came up with set wins of 25-22, 18-25, 26-24, 25-19.
St. Mary’s 3, Washington College 1
- Griffiths registered season-bests of 43 assists and 15 digs to lead St. Mary’s to the win while senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) collected a match-best 21 kills and posted a .349 attack percentage.
- Senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) picked up 21 digs and added three aces to contribute to the victory.
- The Seahawks turned around a 16-13 deficit in the first set as five kills by sophomore captain Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) sustained a 12-6 run to close out the game and give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
- Washington College regrouped and took the second set as St. Mary’s hit negatively. The Seahawks led 13-7 before the Shorewomen outscored SMCM 12-11 to even up the match at 1-1.
- St. Mary’s rebounded to win the next two sets and the match.
- The Seahawks rallied from an 8-3 setback in the third and then used back-to-back Kelley kills to seal up the two-point triumph.
- In the fourth set, St. Mary’s broke open a two-point set with an 8-4 run to the finish, including five straight as first-year outside hitter Julia Sledz (Bethlehem, Pa./Bethlehem Catholic) served up a pair of aces.
- Isabella Sansanelli paced the Shorewomen with 10 kills and seven total blocks (3 solo, 4 assists).
- The Seahawks stretch the win streak to five straight with tonight’s win and drop their first set since winning 13 in a row.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 21 at Goucher (6-5) – Towson, Md. – 7:00 p.m.
- Sep. 22 at Penn State Harrisburg (4-8) – Middletown, Pa. – 11:00 a.m.
- Sep. 22 vs. Cheyney (0-3) – Middletown, Pa. – 1:00 p.m.
By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org