By Justin Gordon ·firstname.lastname@example.org
Buena Vista, Va.– SophomoreKara Taylor(Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) picked up first team All-Capital Athletic Conference honors asTaylorled the St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s cross country team to a fifth-place finish at the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Women’s Cross Country Championships. Southern Virginia University hosted this year’s championship meet at the Vista Links Golf Course in Buena Vista, Va., on Saturday morning.
- Place– 5th of 8/140 points
- Location– Buena Vista, Va. – Vista Links Golf Course
St. Mary’s Top 5 Finishers
- In a field of 96 competitors,Taylorcame in fifth overall with a time of 24:22.8. She was the only non-senior runner to finish in the Top 5. This is the best finish by a Seahawk sinceMichelle DiMenna ’15took 14th at the 2011 CAC Championships.
- Taylorbecomes just the second Seahawk runner – male or female – to garner first team all-conference honors since the programs’ inception in 2009.Dan Swain ’13picked up first team honors with his fourth-place finish at the 2012 CAC Championships. Overall, the cross country programs have combined for four All-CAC awards – three on the women’s side and one for the men’s team.
- Senior captainMarisa McCormick(Prince Frederick, Md./Calvert) finished 25th overall in her final CAC championship race with a time of 25:55.5.
- SophomoreLindsey Stevenson(Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) was the next Seahawk to cross the finish line with a time of 27:46.1, which was good enough for 50th overall.
- SophomoreMelody Raynaud(Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) and junior captainNhu Chau(Elkridge, Md./Howard) rounded out the Top 5 for the Seahawks.Raynaudclocked a 28:45.9 for 58th overall, just edgingChau(28:49.8 – 59th place).
Other Race Highlights
- Along withMcCormick,Lindsey Power(Glen Arm, Md./Notre Dame Prep),Alyssa Leventer(Baltimore, Md./Friends),Kori Taber(Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg), andTara Vizzi(Bel Air, Md./Kenwood) all ran in their final CAC championship race.
- University of Mary Washington’sJillian Weisbeckcame in first overall with a time of 23:45.8.
- York College of Pennsylvania notched its third straight CAC title with a commanding 13-point lead over second-place Mary Washington.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- The Seahawks will take the next two weeks to prepare for the NCAA Division III Mideast Regional Championship on Saturday, November 10. DeSales University in Center Valley, Pennsylvania, serves as the host site. Race starts at 11:00 a.m.
Seahawk Finishers (96 runners): 5.Kara Taylor;25.Marissa McCormick;50.Lindsey Stevenson;58.Melody Raynaud;59.Nhu Chau;65.Lindsey Power(29:10.3);67.Amy Forsbacka(29:22.5);69.Alyssa Leventer(29:52.1);74.Marie Lewis(30:27.5);81.Isobel Hermans(32:19.5);86.Kori Taber(33:52.7);92.Liv Bescak(37:24.4);95.Tara Vizzi(41:15.8)