By Justin Gordon ·firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary’s City, Md. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s swim team opened their 2018-19 season with a dominant win over Marymount (Va.) University Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (1-0) beat the Saints (0-1), 133-67, as three Seahawks collected three wins each.
St. Mary’s 133, Marymount 67
How It Happened
- First-yearRileigh Krell(Baltimore, Md./Sparrows Point), senior captainHailley Baughman(Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), juniorCarolyn Sutton(Laurel, Md./Laurel) and sophomoreBrenna Litynski(Hollywood, Md./Home-schooled) all started the season off with a win in the 200 medley relay by swimming a 1:54.37.
- First-yearsLeila McCloskey(Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) andBailey Edgren(Canton, Conn./Canton), juniorBecca Sonnenberg(Derwood, Md./Magruder), and senior captainSamantha Schoenecker(Dallas, Texas/Wilson) took second in the 200 medley relay in 1:58.96.
- SophomoreAnna LaPoint(Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) picked up right where she left off last season, finishing first in the 1,000 freestyle with a time of 11:20.77, which was 17 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher.LaPointalso placed first in the 200 individual medley with a 2:18.14. She continued her strong day with yet another first in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:31.46.
- Litynskiswam a 1:58.53 in the 200 freestyle, which was good enough for first.
- Krellalso contributed by placing first in the 100 butterfly by swimming a 1:02.82. Again, the first-year came through with a first-place finish in the 100 backstroke in 1:03.67.
- McCloskey,Sutton,Schoenecker, andLitynskiconcluded the meet with a win in the 200 freestyle relay by swimming a 1:31.21.
- JuniorHolly Smith(Calne, England/Skyline [Wash.]) picked up a pair of second-place finishes in the 200 free (2:08.54) and the 100 freestyle (58.29).Smithwas also third in the 100 breaststroke (1:13.44).
- Suttongrabbed second in the 50 freestyle in 26.11 whileEdgrenwent second in the 200 IM in 2:24.39.
- Sonnenbergplaced second in the 100 fly in 1:05.50 while juniorAngela Ross(Perry Hall, Md./Perry Hall) took second in the 100 back in 1:05.84.Rossalso placed third in the 50 free in 27.57.
- Baughmantallied a second-place finish in the 100 breaststroke in 1:09.04 while sophomoreElizabeth Johnson(Salisbury, Md./Mardela Springs, Md.) notched two third-place finishes in the 1,000 free (12:28.93) and the 500 free (6:02.73).
- First-yearChristina Ruebeck-Bonass(Chestertown, Md./Kent County) garnered a third-place in the 100 free in 1:04.22.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 2 at Randolph-Macon (0-1) – Ashland, Va. – 5:00 p.m.
- Nov. 3 vs. York (Pa.) (2-2, 1-0 CAC) – Aquatics Center at MPOBARC (CAC meet) – 1:00 p.m.