By Justin Gordon ·firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary’s City, Md. –Senior captainHailley Baughman(Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley) and first-yearBrenna Litynski(Hollywood, Md./Home-schooled) each tallied four victories as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s swim team opened up Capital Athletic Conference action Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (1-2, 0-1 CAC) dropped a 140-114 decision to York College of Pennsylvania (4-1, 2-1 CAC).
St. Mary’s 114, York 140
How It Happened
- First-yearRileigh Krell(Baltimore, Md./Sparrows Point),Baughman, juniorCarolyn Sutton(Laurel, Md./Laurel), andLitynskiswam a 1:54.68 in the 200 medley relay, which was good enough for first overall.
- Litynskipicked up individual wins in the 200 freestyle (1:57.18) and the 100 freestyle (54.49) before joining forces withSutton, first-yearLeila McCloskey(Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown), and senior captainSamantha Schoenecker(Dallas, Texas/Woodrow Wilson) to capture the 200 freestyle relay in 1:44.31.
- Baughmanearned three individual first-place finishes. She finished first in the 100 breaststroke with a 1:09.31.Baughmanthen had another first-place finish when she swam a 2:33.10 in the 200 breaststroke followed by first-yearBailey Edgren(Canton, Conn./Canton) in second in 2:38.98.
- Baughman’sthird first-place finish came in the 200 individual medley as the Seahawks swept the event withBaughmanin first in 2:24.44, juniorBecca Sonnenberg(Derwood, Md./Magruder) in second in 2:36.86, and sophomoreAlexa Needle(Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) in third in 2:43.11.
- Suttonswam a 26.07 in the 50 freestyle, which put her in second place. She claimed another second place finish in the 100 butterfly with a 1:04.07.
- Krellalso contributed by placing second in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:03.71 and taking third in both the 200 backstroke (2:18.58) and the 100 butterfly (1:04.43).
- SophomoreElizabeth Johnson(Salisbury, Md./Mardela Springs) paced St. Mary’s in the distance events with a third-place finish in the 1,000 freestyle and a fifth-place finish in the 500 freestyle.
- Sonnenbergled the Seahawks in the 200 butterfly with a fourth-place finish in 2:28.37.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 10 at Frostburg State (4-1, 1-1 CAC) – Frostburg, Md. (CAC meet) – 1:00 p.m.